Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowing and unresponsive computer

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 GeraldUK

GeraldUK

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

Am using a desktop running XP Home SP3, 2g RAM.

Over the last few weeks the response from clicking on an action has become slower and slower to the point of it not responding to the mouse clicks.

In addition, my screen oddly plays up when booting producing technicolor patterns rather than the Microsoft splash screen. A hard boot seems to cure this, but I wonder if it is a warning sign that my monitor, or graphics card, is on the way out. (System is about 3 years old).

The other night I left just Iexplorer running and from the Event log I saw the program became unresponsive and there was a message that I.E had turned off to protect computer ( or words to that effect). In the tray was a “Restore your computer” bar but I could not investigate as the arrow pointer turned into a double arrow when on the tray. Unable to get “Start”so I turned off and rebooted.

At present, the system is slow to boot up: on my desktop the icons are there initially without colour and the colour comes slowly, one by one. In accessing Control Panel I oddly get the torch looking for the location screen frst.

Event viewer picked up iexplorer being non-responsive in the early morning (when I was fast asleep in bed) and a few earlier nview_info errors without descriptions, otherwise nothing else as errors in apps or system.

Only other thing to report is that my ADSL broadband is dropping its connection fairly regularly in the evening, but event log does not report these and I think I need to contact my ISP directly.

I do have Hijack This, and could post a log for more computer literate people than me to try to work out why the system seems memory/action slow to unresponsive.

Finally, today I have run Kaspersky (quick scan) then full scans with Spybot Search and Destroy and Malwarebytes with nothing untoward being reported by any of them, so I doubt if it is a virus or trojan causing the problems.

Happy New Year.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:19 AM

Details (Source, Event ID, and summary description) of the last 3 Event Viewer errors (not info items) noted.

Louis

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:22 AM

I would try to borrow another video card, don't bother with drivers it should load on the generic MS drivers. I do not think it is the monitor as it displays what is sent to it.

Another thing to try in the interim is MemTest86, a slight glitch in a memory stick can cause untold issues it is free down load. Let it run for about 30-45 minutes any sign of a problem remove one stick and run again assuming you have two sticks.

P.S. post you HJ log in the HJ forum and be patient.

Edited by OldPhil, 10 January 2010 - 11:24 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

Louis

These are the last 3 errors in the application section, most recent (running CCleaner) first.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: nview_info
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 10/01/2010
Time: 17:46:44
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-74C782E1E6
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( nview_info ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: NVIEW : ccleaner: WAIT_TIMEOUT, while waiting for a read to clear - resetting read event

Event Source: nview_info
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Time: 17:45:48
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( nview_info ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: NVIEW : RunDll32: WAIT_TIMEOUT, while waiting for a read to clear - resetting read event

Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: (100)
Event ID: 1000
Time: 01:04:44
Description:
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x002f003a.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 69 65 78 ure iex
0018: 70 6c 6f 72 65 2e 65 78 plore.ex
0020: 65 20 38 2e 30 2e 36 30 e 8.0.60
0028: 30 31 2e 31 38 37 30 32 01.18702
0030: 20 69 6e 20 75 6e 6b 6e in unkn
0038: 6f 77 6e 20 30 2e 30 2e own 0.0.
0040: 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 0.0 at o
0048: 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 ffset 00
0050: 32 66 30 30 33 61 2f003a

Not much to work on. Since the Ccleaner run and soft reboot the system seems a little faster.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:Q8o0wd...=clnk&gl=us

I would uninstall current video drivers...then reinstall.

Varied causes for the IE error, http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...rce=Application Error&phase=1.

Louis

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

Plug "nview_info" into Google the problem is with the video, they talk of solutions but that is better read by you.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:30 AM

OldPhil

Thanks for the advice, will google.

Louis

I might have trouble in uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. Presume I should be looking in the Display Adaptors bit where I see I have 2 NVIDIA Geforce 7300 GS cards with an exe file each and about 12 dll files. One card uses IRQ18, the other IRQ19. There is the facility to uninstall drivers but it obvious comes with dire warnings of not being able to reboot. There is an option to update, but not looked into it yet. (I seem to remember when I bought the computer, they said it was aimed at gamers, and certainly the graphics side used to be very fast indeed).

As you can see, I am getting in a bit over my head!

Of course, at the moment it says both display adaptors are working perfectly!

#8 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:58 AM

Louis

I have run dxdiag which seems to test all of the NVIDIA card functions: all were OK.
Looking at the system information tab at the end it shows:
driver nv4_disp.dll
version 6.14.10.9131
at c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys 6.14.10.9131
size 3.74mb
date 01.06.2006

I am not sure of the relevance of the driver dll and the mini.sys naming.

I did a search and found earlier versions of the dll file in c:\I386 and ServicePackFiles, plus up to date ones in system32 (obviously) and the cache files.

So, I think I have half-answered my query as to what is the actual driver file, but am not sure how to proceed with your advice of uninstalling and reinstalling the driver file.

Regards

Gerald

#9 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:25 AM

Hardly a very responsive effort.

#10 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:03 AM

I would try and open up the Device Manager ....Cursor down to Video Adaptor in questioin and click on it...You should have the options to Update, Roll-Back, and Un-Install...I would select the Update function first...Other options would be to go to your computer manufacturers web-site and download fresh drivers from them for the exact make and model of your computer...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

To OP: Although I normally frequent this forum daily...this is the first time today that I have done so.

Today, your situation had to take a backseat to a system I was cleaning up (almost 12 hours) for a friend of a friend...sorry if that displeased you.

Louis

#12 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

OldGrumpyBastard

Thanks for your advice. I have updated the drivers for my video cards and will let you know if there is any obvious improvement.

Thanks

Hamluis

Sorry if I was a little sharp with you. We all think our problems are the most urgent!

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

Understood...but no matter how urgent a problem may seem...voluntary assistance efforts...should not be seen in the same light as a paid service, where expectations are rightfully based on some theory of prioritzation.

When forum members are unresponsive...they either have other commitments, have nothing to add that someone else has not suggested...or they have no interest in volunteering responses to the situation.

At least...that's how I work and I assume that's pretty close to how others who try to help...work being part of the forum.

Louis

#14 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:56 PM

OJB, hamluis

I said I would report back, havig updated the drivers on my twin NVIDIA video cards. Unfortunately, no difference.

What I notice is that apart from the slow response time between a mouse click, I oddly get a quick screen of the torch searching for the thing I have clicked for, e.g control panal. Very often the coloured icons on my desktop, and elsewhere, will have lost there colour, and the colour seems to show again, one by one.

If I reboot in a normal manner the icons all appear with their colours. If I am forced into a reboot, then often the icons have no colour and they colour u one by one, and slowly.

Any ideas?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hmmm...the old flashlight searching...I always interpret that as a sign of a hard drive/file system problem.

I usually check all connections and then run chkdsk /r and possibly defrag that partition. If it continues, then I run a hard drive diagnostic.

I would also check Event Viewer for any errors denoting either "IDE" or "Disk" as Source.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users