Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'msnethlp32.exe'

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tryingtolearn

tryingtolearn

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:29 PM

An elderly lady friend of mine let her son use her computer. He has gone to pron sites, and got some viruses. (No kidding) Well, she uses aol, didn't have an antivirus program, hasn't done any updates in the 3 years since her husband died. Well, we upgraded her aol to 9 that has mcafee, ran that, ran housecall from trend micro, and the programs either repaired, quarantined or deleted the problems. She said there was one that she couldn't do anything with, and I didn't write it down when she told me. Now when she boots up there is an error message that says something about the file 'msnethlp32.exe' is not found (or missing, I am not sure of the exact wording of the message.)

I am on my way over there to see what is what and would like to know how to deal with this problem.

Could anyone help me to get this resolved :thumbsup: ?

Thank you.

We also did the critical updates from microsoft before installing aol 9 and running the antivirus programs.

(moderator edit: moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 22 August 2005 - 01:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:51 AM

Hello tryingtolearn and welcome to BC.

This error is most likely caused by an incomplete repair of a virus infection. Go to Start>Run and type in regedit. When it opens, highlight My Computer and in the Edit menu click Find. Put msnethlp32.exe into the box that comes up and click Find Next. When you find a reference to that file, if its in the right hand side, right click and delete. Press F3 to continue searching and delete any reference to this file. Reboot and see if the error is gone.

If there are any further error messages please write them down exactly as they appear.

In order to ensure that this computer has been cleaned completely I would like you to submit a HiJack This log for analysis. Please see How to submit a Hijackthis Log and follow the instructions.

Edited by Leurgy, 23 August 2005 - 10:07 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users