Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DELL - Driver Problem?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 HijackThat

HijackThat

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:18 AM

DELL INSPIRON 8500
Service Tag: D941N21

1) I reformatted this laptop with Windows XP Professional
2) I've downloaded all the Network Drivers as well as others from DELL.COM, and cannot get online!
3) My "Wireless Network Connection" is connected to my router, but still no internet!!

Thank you,
HijackThat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:42 AM

Tell us if youre using a modem only, or have a router and what kind.
Power cycle both, Both off, then turn modem on, then router.
Then if not working try plugging direct into modem via cable, if works, plug into router, if wireless, try that last.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:02 AM

Did you set up the connection...using the XP Wireless Network Wizard?

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windows...maticwifixp.htm

Louis

#4 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

- I have 2 laptops - 1) MSI MS 1012 Spire 2)DELL INSPIRON 8500

- I do not have access to the Wireless Router due to living in a large house with many people, but I am always connected with my Spire and previously with my DELL before my reformatting.

- I believe it to be a Driver issue. And, I do not know how to resolve it.

- I don't have the little single computer icon "Wireless Network Connection" in the lower right-hand corner with the two blinking green connection waves off the right side, like on my Spire. I only have the two computer icon "Local Area Connection." Although, on my Spire the "Local Area Connection" has the red ex, but I am online, while on my DELL it does not have the red ex and it is connected to the Wireless Router downstairs, but there is no internet.

#5 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

Did you set up the connection...using the XP Wireless Network Wizard?

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windows...maticwifixp.htm

Louis

- Step 3: I don't have a "Wireless Networks" tab

- I also cannot "View Available Wireless Networks."

Note: I was online with this computer previous to reformatting. Also, I am online with my 2nd laptop currently.

#6 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:55 PM

Is there anybody who can help me with this?

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:05 AM

On the problem PC first look in Device Manager. Click Start, click run..., and then type devmgmt.msc. Make sure there are no ? or !. If there are, and the is no wireless device listed under Network adapters then the driver is still missing.

Let us know what you find and we`ll go from there.

#8 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

Thank you ThunderZ for helping me with this!

This is what I have:

Network adapters
___1394 Net Adapter
___Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
___Dell TrueModile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card
___MAC Cridge Miniport

? Other Devices
___?! Multimedia Audio Controller
___?! PCI Modem

Edited by HijackThat, 20 January 2010 - 11:03 AM.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

This is what I have:

Network adapters
___1394 Net Adapter
___Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
___Dell TrueModile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCI Card
___MAC Cridge Miniport

You already have these installed? ^

Other Devices
___?! Multimedia Audio Controller

The audio card = sound ^

___?! PCI Modem

Need`d if you are on or may ever use a dial-up Internet connection.

Go to Dell- Drivers and Downloads. Enter your service tag. That will lead you to the appropriate page for what is need`d. You can download just the drivers or any combination of the software available there. It was likely on the PC when brand new, or a new\improved version has been released since the lap top was manufactured.

Edited by ThunderZ, 20 January 2010 - 12:22 PM.

#10 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

DELL INSPIRON 8500
Service Tag: D941N21

1) I reformatted this laptop with Windows XP Professional
2) I've downloaded all the Network Drivers as well as others from DELL.COM, and cannot get online!
3) My "Local Area Connection" is connected to my router, but still no internet & no "Wireless Network Connection"!!

Thank you,
HijackThat

I have already done this... this is why I need help!

I have downloaded everything under the "Network" tab on www.dell.com and installed it...

- I don't have the little single computer icon "Wireless Network Connection" in the lower right-hand corner with the two blinking green connection waves off the right side, like on my Spire. I only have the two computer icon "Local Area Connection." Although, on my Spire the "Local Area Connection" has the red ex, but I am online, while on my DELL it does not have the red ex and it is connected to the Wireless Router downstairs, but there is no internet.

Do you have any other ideas?

Edited by HijackThat, 20 January 2010 - 03:02 PM.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

Now that we know where we stand on drivers. Open up the Networks folder. Right click on the icon representing the wireless connection. Select Properties then place a check mark in Show icon in notification area when connected.

#12 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

Where is the "Networks" folder?

I went to "Network Connections" in "Control Panel" and did what you told me to do for each of the four icons in the window

Now, I have 4 little icons each with two little computers back to back
I still do NOT have the single computer icon with the green waves off the right side

To be clear, the double-computer icons indicate that I am connected to the router
However, I am not able to get online
I strongly believe there is a driver that I am missing that will as part of its installation give me a single-computer icon and allow me to go online... like it had before I reinstalled XP, and like my other laptops do.
Also, I didn't reformat it from it's original Windows OS.. It has been passed down and reformatted several times with several different Windows disks and somehow the previous owners downloaded something to make it go online each time... :thumbsup:

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

You did`t need to enable for all four icons. Only the one that states that it is a wireless connection.

But since you have them there, when you right click on them the one that is the wireless will give you the option to View Available Wireless Networks. Left click on that option. It should show Scanning for available wireless networks. Let me know if it see`s your wireless router.

According to what you have already told me all the necessary drivers are installed.

#14 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

Sorry for not replying as quickly as I should... as you know I have 2 laptops, and on the 18th, 4 days ago, I contracted a pretty serious virus on my only working laptop. I've been waiting on the "Hijackthis" forum, but I haven't been helped yet... but the virus has advanced to the point that when I open a web-brower whether it is Explorer or Firefox it will open for about 60 seconds and not matter what I am doing it will close and not open again, unless I restart the computer... it started out as the "Internet Security 2010" thing and a Google Redirecting virus, but now I think it is something yet to be added to all the malware/spyware databases. It's something that refuses to be deleted, renamed, or moved, called mowikuva.dll. I can't even find it on google. So, I am internet-less at home now.. I am using a computer at the local community college now.

Anyhow:

Like you said only one of the double-computer-icon had an option to "View Available Wireless Networks"

I clicked it:
The window comes up as completely greyed out... the only thing in full color and able to be clicked is "Cancel" in the lower left corner.

What should I do now?

Thank you so much for helping me with this, it was online, so I'm sure it will be able to get there again somehow! Now it'd be expcially convenient since my other computer can't go online for more than a minute now :thumbsup:

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

Is there any chance that the PC we are working on is infected?

There are only two reasons I know of that the Windows wireless configuration utility may appear that way. An infection or another program was installed along with the wireless driver to manage the connection. Do you see anything in Add\Remove like Dell wireless management?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users