Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Home - Multiple User Accounts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 madelonw

madelonw

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:16 PM

I am trying to clean up a machine that is infected with multiple adware/spyware problems and at least one trojan. I will be trying HiJackThis later on today and posting separately to that forum.

The machine in question has 4 accounts on it. I have run Spybot S&D and Microsoft's spyware tool against each account and removed innumberable registry entries, favorites' shortcuts, files and programs from this machine.

It seems that as I clean things under one user and move on to the next, the first user becomes infected again. I have had no additional success by doing all the removals in safe mode.

I guess my question is what are the ramifications of having multiple user accounts on a WinXP home machine?

Thanks.

Love,
Mad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:20 PM

Use the steps and programs here
Posted Image

#3 madelonw

madelonw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:41 AM

OK, let's just forget that I mentioned anything about trojans, spyware and virii...

I still need some information on the ramifications of setting up multiple user accounts on a WinXP Home system.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:28 AM

What do you mean by "ramifications"?

Each user should have their own account so preferences can be set individually.
That gives each user privacy in email, internet history, etc,

Only one user (yourself or whoever owns the computer) should have an administrator account and that should be used only when necessary. A second account should be set up and used for browsing as any malware that gets through whatever security you set up will have the same power as the account it was brought in through. If it comes in under an administrator account it will have the same power to operate the computer as the administrator.

XP Home is not as good at security as XP Pro is, but you can still set up and use good security policy.

By the way, if you don't address and correct your virus and malware problems you will soon have a useless computer, and, the plural of virus is viruses.

vi·rus Audio pronunciation of "viruses" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vrs)
n. pl. vi·rus·es
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=viruses

Edited by Enthusiast, 23 August 2005 - 09:31 AM.

#5 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:05 AM

All users use the same C: drive applications the only thing different is the profiles of each user. These are located at C:Documents and Settings. There you will find the folders for cookies, Temp files, temporary internet files and other user specific items. The contents of the folders mentioned above need to be deleted seperately using an admin account. The problem I have with multiple accounts is that most people set them up as administrator accounts and not limited user accounts. This gives every user the rights to download and install whatever they want on the system. Younger users don't care about the issues of spyware, malware, trojans or viruses until it causes problems with their favorite programs.

Using the following setup can restrict users without effecting the administrator accouunt(s). This takes planning and forethought. I have used it on friends computers to restrict their childrens accounts and they seem quite happy. There are several scripts that can be used to turn on or off functions. The second URL under A to Z lists these scripts. ****be sure to email Kelly to find the best way to apply the scripts*** or visit this XP news group

I know this applies to Windows 2000 but it also works in XP.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;293655

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users