Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL & Wired Linksys Router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doh102

doh102

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:14 PM

hey guys, i was wondering if anyone out there could clue me in on this monster headache of a problem. I am trying to hook up verizon dsl. When the computer is connected straight to the modem, i have a great connection. I am trying to use a linksys wired router (befsr41 vers. 4) to hook up both computers in the room. The second i hook the router up, there is no signal. I am running windows xp and norton IS, but both firewalls are turned off. I spent hours on the phone with someone from linksys, but they couldn't help. I couldn't even ping the router. My biggest problem is that i don't understand this stuff at all, so technical support is difficult. Please, if anyone out there has any suggestions, please let me know, and remember, i'm a lehman!

thanks

Joey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:28 PM

what i would do my buddy, is to obtain the latest firmware for the router and apply it. then i would give it a hard reset.>power off, while holding reset button in, power up, hold for 30 seconds or so.
now you have the latest edition firmware, and it is reset to defaults. linksys has (as you are now aware im sure) a quick setup, while on setup you choose type of connection, pppoe, dhcp, layer 2 oriented cable, then you simply fill in appropriate blanks. when finished router resets itself, i would power cycle the modem, router and restart the computer, just to be sure.
make certain you do a hard reset man, it got me outta a few jams that i thought was a bad router.
let me know
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:18 PM

I have the same router and it was a pain to set up. The key was enabling dhcp.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users