Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP wont start after fat32 check!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thfc28

thfc28

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

Hi Everyone

I scoured all problems posts hours yesterday to try find same problem I have so Hope someone can really help me or point me in the right direction with thisas at my witts end basically the other night turned computer off by switch electric plug instead of properly turning it off.since then it just wont get to windows xp normal computer page etc.Really appreciate any time spent helping me with this prob please as I have alot of very important work info on my docs which wont get back and my nieces videos which are well irreplacable .
I dont have my original windows xp cd available or any back up cds afraid I know not good.Hope thers a way to sort this out without losing my info off computer please. thanks!

AMD Athlon Time computer x2400
Windows xp home edition ( 2004 edition )

This is bit long soz,just give as much info as possible.

Firstly switch computer on, I get black screen monitor with a small blue box
saying NO SIGNAL
then windows xp logo and
then goes through usual motions to boot
Then get the screen with Checking File System on C:
THE type of the file system is FAT32

One of yr disks needs to be checked for consistency.You may cancel the disk check anytime,
but it is strongly recommended that you continue.
Windows will check the disk.

Volume Serial number 3c60-0f9f
Windows verifying files and folders
The \pagefile.sys entry contains a non valid linkThe size of the \pagefile.sys entry is non valid.
\System Volume information \_restore{2A86D985-D5E2-4098-A2D5-E518CF621B15}
\RP1784\Change.log is cross linked on allocation unit 3342606.cross link resolved by copying.
The \system volume information\_restore{2A86D985-D2E2-4098-A2D5-E518CF621B15}
\RP1777\Change.lo.10 entry contains non valid link.The size of the \Documents and Settings\ MY NAME.YOUR-9YTG7LH072.002\LOCAL SETTINS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE51FQVQKNUW\IBrokenheartDogFacePizza[1].gif
entry is not valid.\Documents and Settings\MY NAME.YOUR-9YTG7LH072.002\Local Settins\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\FQVQKNUW\IBrokenheartDogFacePizza[1].gif is cross linked
on allocation unit 2705135.

Then after this checking it doesnt do anything just halts,then I'm back
to square one agin and have to either switch it off to start again!
cannot get windows on at all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I press any key stop file checking it just loops/jumps back to begining
like just turned it on.But Then I get black screen with windows choices
Saying: We apologize for inconveninance but windows did not start
successfully recent hardware or software may have caused this etc

with options safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

start windows normally
or last know congiguration worked etc

If I choose any of the safe modes i get screen pops up with following,just freezes

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\Fonts\vgaaem.fon
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\AppPatch\drvmain.sd6
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\ACPI.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\viaide.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\Mountmgr.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\fdisk.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\Partmgr.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\VolSnp.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\disk.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\fltmgr.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\sr.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\PxHelp.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\fastfat.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\KSecDD.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\NDIS.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\viaagp.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\viaagpi.sys
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\mupi.sys

As I read about chkdsk / f or/ r commands where you check in safe mode with command prompt
but thats all i get above wont let me do anything.

I've tried changing the odd setting in BSIOS pagewhere press delete at start. But havent got an idea what to do from ther? I've changed S.M.A.R.T disable/enabled sincebut not doing anything should keep this disabled?

I dont know if this is a virus or what i havent had any new software installed like that.
I have vrginbroadband which is comes on automaticallywith computer.I have 3 firewalls Vrgin anit-virus,avira,mcaffee.

What is the best action to take here please? or Is there a recovery product available to restore my computer without losing data?

I really do appreciate taking the time to look over this for me many thanks!!

Paul :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

Hi, it appears that you have either a file system or hard drive problem.

Running the chkdsk /r command will take care of some, others are more severe and may eventually lead to a clean install.

The SMART setting has nothing to do with your situation. SMART is a system designed to warn of impending hard drive failures, I suggest you leave it enabled.

Do you have access to another system for a brief period of time? If so, I suggest removing hard drive...atttach it as a secondary drive to another system...and run the chkdsk /r command, using the instructions at http://www.hard-drive-help.com/chkdsk.html under Starting Check Disk.

Then put the hard drive back in your system and see if it boots properly.

Louis

#3 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:56 AM

First and foremost Why did you shut down the power via the power switch? Was your pc hanging?

longtooth

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,550 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:58 AM

I have 3 firewalls Vrgin anit-virus,avira,mcaffee.

I suspect this could be a major contributing factor to the root cause of your problem. First of all, those products are known to be antivirus which is a totally different thing than a firewall. It is possible that you have system suites that include both a firewall and an antivirus, but the main point is that you should never have more than one antivirus with real time/on access scanners or more than one active firewall installed at one time. Having more than one of each type program can make your system very unstable. An improper shut down of such an unstable system may well have caused your problem.

When you get your system back, if you can without having to reformat, remove all antivirus and firewall programs and then install one of each of your choice.

Edited by Papakid, 10 January 2010 - 10:59 AM.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#5 thfc28

thfc28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

Apologies getting back so late only I had a spare computer in my basement which used to get on here and yep Guessed it went down on aswell

spooky!! So only just got computer returned today from local pc experts who managed to fix it when I asked for the results the guy said "Honestly don't

know what the **** it was.All software has gone but thankfully saved all my documents so very happy work and my nieices videos.Phew close one.

And only got one anti virus ativra security so keep to one from now on. Really appreciate your help immensely responding so quickly too.Just

unfortunate that wouldnt respond in safe mode command prompt for me to do the chkdsk thing.Anyway it is sorted my main computer..just waiting on

other one.Once again MANY THANKS great community here!!

Kind Regards
Paul

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

You can try running the chkdsk /r command from the XP Recovery Console.

Directions for creating bootable CD with RC on it, How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/.

Various methods of creating bootable CD from .iso file, How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users