Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home and Compaq

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cfranklin3105

cfranklin3105

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:00 PM

Moved our computer from one room to another on Saturday and when we hooked it back up got the error message "missing or corrupt file: system32\hal.dll"; couldn't get the bleeping computer to do anything and ended up doing a "restore" to factory settings (of course, NO disks were provided when the PC was bought and everything was pre-loaded. Naturally, the RESTORE resulted in everything we have put on the computer being lost. Computer will not recognize the driver we need for internet (I know how to fix THAT issue), but now we can't access any of our Microsoft Office programming (spreadsheets, word processing, etc.). It appears the programming is still there but I can't find an "Install" icon. Can you give me some direction on getting that programming back in place?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam315

Adam315

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

Do you have the actual office install disk?

You said that you had to reload all the software, so i assume you do. Id try this first.

(since you lost your files anyways already)

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:38 PM

If you cannot find your copy of MS Office, you can download (free) OpenOffice. org which is MS-Office compatible. Quite frankly, though, I am surprised that a factory restore left your .doc and spreadsheet files intact.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users