Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What I NEEED?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tigger0772

tigger0772

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:59 AM

ACK!!! i went out and purchased a new computer last night, it runs off of windows xp and has the sp2 pack already on it. since i am coming from a FIVE year old computer that was running windows ME.....let's just say, i am behind a little bit in the new computer stuff. so, i am hoping that maybe someone can tell me what i DO and DO NOT need.....PUUUHHHLLLLEEEZZZE!

my question is: the computer came with the sp2 pack, pre-installed norton internet security 2005 AND mcafee anti-spyware & mcafee internet security.....and they are alllll running at the same time. i know the sp2 pack has a security thing too.....SOOOO, what do i really need to keep and what should i do away with?

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tigger0772

tigger0772
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:01 PM

OH, and let me please add that AOL also has some sort of spyware protection that runs every time i sign on to AOL..... thanks :thumbsup:

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:57 PM

Right off the bat, you need to replace the Windows XP firewall with something that will monitor outgoing as well as incomming packets. Members here might recommend either Zone Alarm or SygatePersonal Firewall; both are free.
You also need to visit Windows Update and install all the security patches issued since SP2.

I will let others debate the relative merits of Norton vs. Mcafee suites vs. AOL's "contribution." but it certainly seems you have some redundant software installed to the point that more is not better it is just more.
I would still suggest you employ Spybot and Ad-AwareSE.
Regards
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 tigger0772

tigger0772
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks john!! i will look into the firewalls you mentioned.....right now, nortons internet security firewall is running but, it is only a "trial" for 90 days....do you think IT is worth paying for or do i need to go ahead and get one of the ones listed above?

and YES, i was thinking the same thing about alot of the stuff that was pre-loaded on this computer was VERY redundant, and they are all set up to run at start up and ALL at the same time.....that can NOT be good, huh?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:52 PM

No need to pay for a firewall, when there are perfectly acceptable free ones, such as the 2 John mentioned.
Here's 2 more to choose from, that are listed in our Freeware replacements for common commercial apps thread:
Kerio
Outpost Firewall Free

You mentioned Norton and Mcafee internet security.
If these both include an antivirus, you need to disable one of them.
General rule:
1 AV
1 Firewall
As many Spyware apps as you want.
(No need to have spyware apps running at startup. Run them manually twice a week, or more, depending on your surfing habits.)

2 AVs, or 2 firewalls, running together, will conflict with each other, rendering both ineffective.

Besides the 2 John recommended, Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D, I would also recommend aČ free, Spywareblaster, and SpywareGuard.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users