Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes shortly after start-up.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BAPM

BAPM

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:29 AM

SPECS: Toshiba Satellite M305-S4910 running Windows Vista 64-bit Home Prem. 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1). Machine is little under a year old and operated fine before this problem.

BASIC PROBLEM: I start up my computer, put in my password, and in about 30-45 seconds after my desktop displays, the screen freezes and I am unable to run any applications, open any problems, or scroll through any menus. It doesn't turn black or blue or do anything else. It just stays frozen and the only action I can do is move my mouse cursor back and forth on the screen. I am forced to depress the power key until the power goes off in order to stop this.

DETAILED PROBLEM: I attempted to bring my laptop computer out of hibernation only to find that it apparently had encountered some sort of error and it was no longer hibernating. I restarted the computer. It appeared to take a little extra time starting up, but seemed normal.

I attempted to connect to wireless internet. The computer proceeded with this longer than normal and after several minutes, I decided to cancel the connection to check for any issues. However, I was unable to do anything with the computer. Ctrl+alt+del did nothing. I was unable to open up or run anything on the computer. I restarted the computer. After entering my password, the computer never even made it to my desktop. It proceeded to remain on the screen that appears after entering my password. I believe it's a welcome screen of some sort. It stayed on this loop for a while and I restarted.

About this point I realize I left a blank CD in the DVD-Rom. I pull it out during the next restart.

During this restart, the mouse managed to freeze with the rest of the computer. (In the times before and since, I have at least been able to move the cursor around.)

I restart again, this time in safe mode. I am able to connect to the internet and access my documents perfectly in safe mode.

ACTIONS TAKEN... all done in SAFE MODE:

I ran msconfig, disabled all services, and restarted. No change. I went back into safe mode and re-enabled everything.

I restarted, pressed F8, went into Repair and did the check/repair of startup. No errors were found.

I repeated the above but instead did the test for memory. No errors were found.

I repeated the above again and attempted system restore, but was system restore never ran. I don't know if it was just taking longer than usual or not working. I restarted the computer. No change.

I scanned with Spybot and Malwarebytes. Some cookies found and fixed.

I ran ATF-Cleaner, cleaned up temp files, recycle bin, etc.

I tried system restore but it did not appear to run. After one or two more restarts, I was able to run System Restore. I restored to 12 days ago. It seemed to have worked, but once I tried connecting to a network, it froze (again, with the exception of the mouse cursor). I noticed when my mouse cursor linger at the bottom of the task bar, the little ring symbol in Windows Vista (the one that tells you a program is busy, the Vista equivilent of the hour glass) was busy rotating. However, when I pulled the mouse cursor out of the task bar, it became a plain arrow again.

I ran Avast! and did a Thorough scan of local hard disks. It turned up nothing.

I have so many errors and warnings in event viewer I don't know where to start. In my Event Viewer it says I've had 131 errors in the last seven days and 113 were in the last 24 hrs. Is there anything I should look for that may pertain to this problem?

NOTES: Similar problems I found elsewhere mentioned a Windows update causing this issue. I honestly do not remember if an update installed before the last time I hibernated, but it is a possibility. I also frequently hibernate my machine if that has any bearing on my current situation.

Thank you in advance for any help or direction you can give me on this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:42 AM

hello :huh:

do you have any thing plugged in to the usb ports? try unplugging all usb devices, see if this helps!

good luck

ps also check in bios to make sure hdd is 1st to boot.

start tapping the f2 button on startup > boot tab (using arrow keys) f5 & f6 keys move items up & down the list. again good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 BAPM

BAPM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

Thank you for your reply.

do you have any thing plugged in to the usb ports? try unplugging all usb devices, see if this helps!

I don't but when I checked startup again under "Repair your computer" I get the message "If you have recently attached a device to this computer...remove it and restart."

I didn't attach anything to this computer recently. I did use a USB stick to back up some files but that was after I had this problem.

I checked BIOS and HDD is the first boot.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 BAPM

BAPM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

The problem remains the same. I restarted, re-entered safe mode, and re-enabled everything.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:02 PM

Since the laptop appears to be still under warranty, I'd back up all your data and I'd try clean Vista reinstall. If that doesn't help, I'd call Toshiba.
If it's some hardware problem, you better hurry before the warranty expires.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 BAPM

BAPM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

Is there no other solution? The computer functions fine under safe mode. May I ask why you believe it requires a clean Vista reinstall?

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

By performing Safe Boot (my reply #4), we eliminated any non-Microsoft culprits, so it must be some Microsoft file(s), which doesn't load in Safe Mode, but it does in Normal Mode (unless we're dealing here with some hardware issue).

You may try one more thing....

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista, most likely, you won't need it).

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

BASIC PROBLEM: I start up my computer, put in my password, and in about 30-45 seconds after my desktop displays, the screen freezes and I am unable to run any applications

try one more thing...start > type: services click services from the menu ... find all services that are "automatic (delayed start)" right click them and change to manual..(theres two tabs extended and standard)
there shouldn't be alot of them 10-15 write down witch ones they are so if this works you can change them back one at a time....good luck

****EDIT**** i was typing wile broni was replying please follow his instuctions 1st ....thank you

Edited by keny111111, 10 January 2010 - 05:36 PM.

Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#10 BAPM

BAPM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:22 PM

I did both of those things with no result. I ended up restarting, pressing F8, and under the repair options I used the Toshiba Recovery Wizard to revert my computer back to the factory settings. Loss some data but I'm grateful my laptop's working normally again. Thank you again for your assistance.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:33 PM

I can only repeat:

Since the laptop appears to be still under warranty, I'd back up all your data and I'd try clean Vista reinstall. If that doesn't help, I'd call Toshiba.
If it's some hardware problem, you better hurry before the warranty expires.

You really don't want to void your warranty. It appears to be some hardware problem and even, if you somehow "patch" it right now, what are you going to do, when your warranty expires and the problem will get worse?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 BAPM

BAPM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

I'm confused as to what I should do then.

You said to try a clean install and call Toshiba if that doesn't help. What does a clean Vista install do that reverting back to factory settings doesn't? How is my problem now a hardware problem that I must contact Toshiba about no matter what? What would I say to Toshiba, since my computer appears to be working perfectly again?

Sorry for so many questions, but as I said I'm confused now.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

Are you saying, you have no current problems?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 BAPM

BAPM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:27 AM

Yes. Forgive me if I wasn't clear, but the Toshiba Recovery Wizard is an option available on my computer under the Repair Options that reverts the computer completely to the out-of-the-box factory settings and erases all of the updates, all of the programs I installed, all of my settings/customizations/preferences, and all of my music, pictures, files, etc. [The data loss I was referring to was data I had put on the machine but neglected to back up properly. For example, I forgot to save my Favorites from IE. Oops.] After doing this, my computer was finally able to start up and run normally and has been operating as such ever since. Therefore, I assumed whatever problem I was having earlier must've been a software issue that was remedied.

Edited by BAPM, 29 January 2010 - 12:28 AM.

#15 cvos

cvos

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

I have this problem to but I have a Dell desktop. Do I need do the same things that this person tryed or something diffrent. One thing with me the computer worked fine, then when I went to do a scan with Webroot every thing quit working much like this other person. I can use things if Im on the guest user. Not sure how. What do I need to do to get me working?

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users