Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp won't start

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mick C

Mick C

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:07 AM

My computer won't boot up and shows a blue screen saying

STOP: c0000218 {registry file failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\system32\config\DEFAULT
or it's alternative.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administratot ot technical support group for further assistance.

I've used check /f and it says it's fixed a corrupt file, yet still the blue screen appears, it doesn't start in any mode that's listed and I don't have a recovery disc.

The computer is a dell 6000 and runs XP media edition, I'm presently using a friends laptop to contact you. Is it possible to make a recovery disc from this computer which uses xp professional, any help would be greatly appreciated.

The problem occurred when I received a security update from microsoft and when I accepted the update it was IE8 that downloaded when the computer restarted the above fault occurred, I don't know if this is relevant?

Edited by Mick C, 10 January 2010 - 06:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:53 AM

From Dell Support:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...d=356576#Error6
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Mick C

Mick C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

Thanks OGB, I went to the link and downloaded the file to a usb stick, when I started the computer it went into checkdisk and removed an orphaned file, it then re-instated the missing file and tried to re-boot, the windows xp logo came up as it was loading and then the computer blue screened again with the same message.

Thanks anyway
Mick C

#4 Mick C

Mick C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:14 AM

Rebooted the computer again in safe mode and following blue screen appeared

Technical information

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7C61B6C, 0xF7C61868, 0XF76658D6)

Ntfs.sys - Address F76658D6 base at F7654000, Datestamp 4802be5

Unfortunately with my extremely limited knowledge the above means nothing to me, should I be looking at replacing the hard drive, or is there hope.

Thanks

Mick C

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:43 AM

From the Dell link previously supplied:

STOP 0xC0000218 (STATUS_CANNOT_LOAD_REGISTRY_FILE)

This stop code indicates the Registry has been corrupted.

Things to check:

1 Try to boot to the Last Known Good Configuration.

2 If that fails, you will have to try and restore the registry files manually. The process for doing so is fairly complex and described in the Microsoft KB Article: "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting" Article ID: 307545

Worth a look, Repair Registry File Failure, C0000218 Error - http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm.

Microsoft guidance, Corrupted Registry, Config.sys Missing or Corrupt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545.

Louis

#6 Mick C

Mick C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

Thanks Hamluis, I've already tried the second link, the first explains a lot, but assumes I have a windows recovery disk. I bought my computer from dell and they didn't supply any disks with the computer.

Now I know I'm not computer savvy, but I'm unable to find anywhere within microsoft nor dell where I can Buy a windows xp disk. The majority of information I find seems to assume I can load a windows CD and then access a restore programme on the hard disk. Great idea in theory, however I can't get past the blue screen.

I've tried safe mode and last working configuration and still end up with the blue screen.

Thanks

Mick C

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:59 AM

Have you contacted Dell...and inquired about recovery/restore CDs for your particular system?

Louis

#8 Mick C

Mick C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the ideas hamluis, I eventually found a site that advised that on a dell computer, if when you start it and before it starts to load a blue line appears at the top for 2 seconds and that I should press ctrl and F11 at the same time when this appears. I did that and it kicked into a self diagnostic mode checking everything (took 3 hours) at the end I'd had a couple of blocks faulty.

To cut a (very) long story short, I was given an option of rebooting to the original settings I had when I bought the computer (2006). This I did and hey presto it came back to life. The downside of course is I lost everything from the system and spent hours bringing it back into 2010, happily it's now back to-if not better than previous as accumulated junk got binned.

The moral of the story is buy a separate hard drive and back up your information regularly.

Thanks again for the links.

Mick C

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

Glad you resolved it, appreciate the feedback...happy computing:).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users