Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access denied on a single partition after Win7 Load

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alamaxia

Alamaxia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:46 AM

Hey all, got my past Windows7 problem fixed... now I'm running into a new problem. One of my IDE drives is partitioned into two, I am able to fully access one partition, but the other partition isn't allowing me access. I have tried to set security options in the properties, but to no avail. It doesn't even show me the drive information as far as how full it is. When I load up the Disk Management, it shows this drive as a "Logical Drive".

Here is how my actual hard drives are set up:

IDE Master: 120gb (Currently has Windows XP installed)
IDE Slave: 250gb - Partitioned into two 125GB partitions (Was used to install/store programs and data when I used Windows XP. Has not been reformatted)
SATA 1: 1TB (Currently has Windows 7 installed)

My drives are set up like this in My Computer:

C:\ = SATA 1
D:\ = IDE Master (Unpartitioned)
E:\ = IDE Slave Partition 1
F:\ = IDE Slave Partition 2 (This one cannot be accessed!)

Anyone have any idea as to how to get F:\ accessed? It has all of my games and their saved games on there! Would hate to take a chance on losing all of this data!

Thank you,

~Alamaxia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

Hmmm...it's easier to visualize how things are set up on your computer if you do this:

Type the following into the Start Menu, and hit Enter:

diskmgmt.msc

Maximize this Disk Management window, then take a screenshot using this tutorial. Upload it to the internet (any file/image hosting site will do, I use Imageshack). Then post it here in your topic.

This makes it easier to see what's going on in the partitions and drives on your system.

After that, we'll delve into what's keeping you from accessing that partition. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Alamaxia

Alamaxia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

Ok - here is the screenshot:

Posted Image

And I've finally been able to get to the point where I can access the hard drive and set securities on the folders, but there are a lot of folders in there. I don't want to have to go through each and every one and manually set security settings. Also, even though I have what I believe to be the proper security settings on that drive's root directory, it still will not let me touch any files that are not in a folder.

I have only one user account on this computer, and it is an administrator account.

Thank you!

~Alamaxia

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

Well, instead of fighting with the individual permissions on each file and folder, here is what I would do:

Copy everything off the "Games" partition (you can use cloning software or just do it manually) to a folder in the "Storage" partition (make sure you copy, and do not move!). Then see if you can access the copied versions. If so, just delete that Games partition (whilst keeping the new copied versions), and create a "New Simple Volume" in its place. Then copy the files and folders back to the Games partition.

I've noticed in the past that if there is a permissions issue (i.e. the system owns the file, and not you), making a copy gives you permission rights to the file (may not be the case 100% of the time). I know this works with system files (just did it again to confirm), but I'm not positive about files that just have screwy settings as I don't have any to try this on.

But yeah, try copying them and see if that fixed it.

If not, we'll go from there. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users