Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mdmama

mdmama

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:32 AM

Ok a little background. My problem started with spyware issue( I know wrong part of forum, but bear with me). Upon a run of my superantispyware, when it prompted for restart to remove infections, I couldn't log back in to windows. It would go to welcome screen, I would type in password, it would say logging in, but then go right to logging off and back to welcome screen. I tried to boot in safe mode, which did not work. Now panicked as I still had files to finish backing up, I ( don't know what I was thinking), got out an xp setup disc. Problem was my system had home and this disc was pro. But I really wanted to get my files. I installed xp pro on the same drive, just renamed it something other than the default windows file folder. So I was able to get my files I wanted off. But now I have two xps to choose from at boot. I subsequently fixed the login loop problem of my xp home start up, though safe mode still doesn't boot. I would like to go about removing the xp pro from my computer leaving my original home. How would I go about that? Can I just delete the file folder with the xp pro stuff? I really should have come to this forum originally, as I still have spyware issues and once I resolve my issue with my dual boot, plan to head over to that part of the forum.

Off to bed, hopefully someone can understand my ramblings, and yes I see I did idiotic things. Please help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:11 AM

You quite possibly can remove the XP Pro boot sequence by clicking Start > Run > type "msconfig" without the quotes > Enter....Open the Boot.INI tab and remove the one labled "Microsofr XP Professional"...Care should be taken to make sure that you remove the correct one!!!

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 10 January 2010 - 08:11 AM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 mdmama

mdmama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Oh really, so it isn't some complicated thing? Wonderful. I'll let you know if this doesn't go as plan. Then I can head over to the malware removal section and post there to really get this straightened out. Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:34 AM

Delete the unwanted partition, using Disk Management...and then correct the boot.ini entries by Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm.

Louis

#5 mdmama

mdmama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:31 AM

Ok, I went to msconfig, and got rid of the pro files and that works. Only now don't know if this was malware related or me messing with the os, but I can't get any internet related functions to work. Not IE/Firefox, or outlook express. It just can't connect. But I can use the LAN to connect to my home network shared files fine, so I don't know if that means the drivers are still ok. Any ideas here?

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

Ok, I went to msconfig, and got rid of the pro files and that works. Only now don't know if this was malware related or me messing with the os, but I can't get any internet related functions to work. Not IE/Firefox, or outlook express. It just can't connect. But I can use the LAN to connect to my home network shared files fine, so I don't know if that means the drivers are still ok. Any ideas here?

Could very well be malware related....Might try to re-start...boot into safe mode with networking or even try Last known good configuration...

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 10 January 2010 - 12:01 PM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#7 mdmama

mdmama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

Well I still get error screen at any attempt to boot to safe modes. I went to go check the driver of the LAN hardware, and at the device manager, I get an error mmc.exe entry point not found. Don't know what that is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users