Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up Canon PIXMA MP640 wirelessly to iMac and Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:10 AM

Have no idea how to even start/begin setting up this printer wirelessly to my iMac Mac OS X 10.6 and Windows 7 Laptop, the stupid instruction booklet tells you nothing. I need "Extreme Beginner" with this wireless stuff as I haven't a clue about it. They say its easy, yeah right!

I don't even know if the Mac is set up right or not don't know never used Airport.

I got the printer to print out a network config page and it tells me,

-Wireless LAN enable
-MAC Address
-SSID
-Channel
-Encryption WEP
-WEP Key length 64 (don't even know what it even is)
-Authentication
-TCP/IP Version
-Signal Strength 1%
-Subnet Mask

The WI-FI is lit and on, the printer. I don't even know what setting I need to put in the printer, don't have a clue the sales guy its easy, but where does one even start, I've installed all the latest software for Mac OS X 10.6 as far as Printer detection obviously can't detect it.

The Airport has a yellow dot and not a green dot and I have no clue to why that is or how to make it green but as far as I know Airport doesn't allow internet connections or something I don't understand it.

Anyone with any helpful ideas?

Its ridiculous, I can't see why the installation can't automatically do it all for you.

Do I have to have a wireless router? I can't see why I would if both computers are wireless like the printer, they should all be able to work.

Edited by Izzy, 10 January 2010 - 02:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:36 PM

Well in a perfect world all things would work like they do in SciFi movies. You turn it on, tell it what you want to do and it does it.

Normally what you'd have is wireless already set up with a wireless router. The router is connected via an Ethernet cable to your modem, then all the devices would connect to the router either wired or wireless. Then adding in a wireless printer would be easy. Sometimes the modem and router are the same box, but that's neither here nor there.

The first question I have is, how are your iMac and laptop currently connected to the internet? If you can give me makes and models of the equipment, that will save time and posts.

Without a router its gets even more complicated to get it to work because you'd need it connected to one of the computers and then you'd have to share it. That sorta defeats the whole purpose of buying a printer that is network ready(which is what you have).

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:23 AM

I went out and got a wireless router by what you said it might be the easiest and yes it is, I have a Windows 7 Desktop connected via Ethernet because it has no wireless (i got the router cheap as its an old model which is compatible with Windows 7 but by manual configuration which is fine), but its working fine, and it is working with the printer, the iMac is connected to the router wirelessly, the Canon printer is connected wirelessly to the router, which the iMac can pick it up but I can't seem to print just tells me its offline and the windows 7 laptop is connected to the wireless router and receiving the net and is working fine with the printer.

The Router is "Wireless G Router DIR-300"
Printer: Canon PIXMA MP640 Photo Advance
Laptop: COmpaq CQ61-226-TU - Core 2 Duo
iMac: April/May 2008 model 20-Inch 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo

Oh yes and the other important thing how does one make the wireless secure so neighbours and passes by can't connect on my net as it has no password. I'll need basic steps as I'm new to all this.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:48 AM

When it comes to Macs, I am sorry to say "I Fail". I have little to no experience with them. Normally what you have to do is install the printer driver, newer Windows OS's will have a driver in it that will work. Unless its one of those fancy all-in-one type things, then you'd need to get the drivers. No idea if Mac is like that but I'm fairly sure it would be since Macs are so user friendly, from what I hear. I am sure it is something silly.

Plug an Ethernet cable in to make changes, never ever make changes to a router over a wireless connection. You'll want to surf into the router and setup Wireless security. Use these settings - WPA/WPA2 - Auto(TKIP/AES) - PSK. Then you'll need a 8 - 63 character long password. The longer the better. Can be combo of numbers, letters, spaces or symbols. Caps count. Try not to use common words. You could use a sentence as well. Here is the manual for your router, just in case it doesn't come with one. Altho it is probably on the CD that came with the router =)

Then when you try to make a connection on either PC or IMac it should pop up something for you to type that pass phrase in and connect you.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 12 January 2010 - 04:52 AM.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:01 AM

Thanks for that, I've got the wireless secured so nobody can nick it on me.

The mc had to use the password to connect to the net, the Windows 7 Desktop is still working without it but that could be because its connected with Ethernet cable? The Windows 7 Laptop required the password but it keeps telling me a mismatch, took about 5 attemps for it to go through but seems to be ok. I don't need to type the passwords all the time do i?

As for the printer I might contact Canon as it could possibly be a driver problem with the Mac OS X 10.6 even though they have a driver for it OS there could still be a problem.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Edited by Izzy, 12 January 2010 - 05:48 AM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

Wired computers won't need a password its a wireless thing only. You shouldn't have to enter it each time you connect, it should have that info saved. There might be a check box for that.

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:14 PM

I don't need to enter password to connected to wireless every time I just wondered. I've posted a new topic about my Mac as it has a TP-LINK which it stays as default and the wireless connection I just set is all I want in there , I don't want to have to manually change it all the time. And as I said I'll contact canon about printer.

Thanks for your help though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users