Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 installation problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Napwnleon

Napwnleon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:47 PM

Hey guys, I recently did a "upgrade" to Windows 7 Ultimate from Windows Vista Home Premium. Installation went fine, until the first time I had to login. I would get huge red letters that would say "ERROR, and it said cannot open file c:\recovery.dat". I didn't know what to do so I just ran my Vista Recovery DVD that came with my laptop and got back to my factory settings... I was thinking of running a clean install this time... but I was worried if I would get that error again. I was wondering, can I still run the Vista Recovery DVD after I do a clean install...? Kind of stuck here, I want to have Windows 7, but I don't want to get the error again and not be able to do ANYTHING about it... Thanks for the help in advance.

I have a Asus G50Vt-X1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:23 AM

Yes, it sounds like you need to do a clean install. That is the thing about upgrading: sometimes it doesn't always go smoothly.

Click here to learn how to do a clean install using upgrade media.

But yes, if things are still screwy after the clean install (not likely), you can still go back to the factory settings. The Recovery DVD just makes it easier to do this. There is likely a recovery partition on your hard drive containing the factory fresh operating system. You pop in the recovery DVD, tell it to go back to factory image, and BAM! it's all done for you.

Doing a clean install will not keep you from going back to factory settings, as long as you do not delete that recovery partition when you do the clean install.

I hope I answered your question. Let me know if I did not, you have more questions, or you need help with another issue. :huh:

keyboardNinja
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:30 AM

By the way, to check for a recovery partition type the following into the Start Menu search, then hit Enter:

diskmgmt.msc

You should see one hard drive with at least a couple partitions, then your optical drive (CD/DVD). Check to see how many partitions are on your hard drive and what size they are.

Post a screenshot of the Disk Management window while you're at it. This helps me see what's going on in your system. You can use your own image hosting site if you have one (instead of using the one in the article, I just posted it for the steps).

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:46 AM

That problem is created, when you leave Vista recovery partition alone during upgrade.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Napwnleon

Napwnleon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

Posted Image

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:48 AM

Hmmm...well, I would have said that that 10.74GB partition at the top would be a recovery partition, but it says 100% free space. :huh: Did you create that yourself?

Can you see this "C:\recovery.dat" file that gave you the error? That may be the recovery file itself. I'm not really sure. How big is it?

At this point, I'm not really sure what went wrong, or if you will be able to go back to that Recovery DVD after a clean install of 7. But, I think 7 is so much better than Vista that it really doesn't matter.

If I were you, I would just do the clean install and never look back (don't forget to backup your data!). It's really up to you, though. :huh:

#7 Napwnleon

Napwnleon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

Nah I didn't create it myself lol but I did buy the laptop refurbished from a website... And yes I see the recovery.dat file, right when I click on my C drive, its right there under all of my folders. Its 7bytes lol. But yeah I was just afraid that I would get the error again after a clean install, and not being able to fall back to Vista. I would just be stuck with a laptop with a looping error message.. lol

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:06 PM

Hmmm....refurbished. :huh:

No, you shouldn't get the error after a clean install, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to go back to the recovery stuff in a worst case scenario.

But even at the worst (error message), it isn't a critical thing. Just an annoyance. There is no reason that a clean install wouldn't fix all your problems. But even if it didn't, face it, I would take Windows 7 with a silly error message any day over Vista. :huh:

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

By the way, you can use Acronis True Image home to take an image of the disk in its current state (it makes a full system image, basically a full recovery backup), then revert back to this if you have problem after a clean install (even though that is unlikely). That is probably the best route to take. :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 10 January 2010 - 12:09 PM.

#10 Napwnleon

Napwnleon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:11 PM

The error message wont even let me get to the login screen though...lol it comes up right before the login screen, so theres no way I can login x_x

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

I see. Still, you could do the Acronis system image (see above post), then revert back to that if the clean install doesn't work. You have to realize, an upgrade keeps everything, but updates the operating system. This can result in errors, leftover files that take up space, etc... A clean install wipes all this out and starts from scratch. Nothing will be there except what the installation puts on there.

Backup your system using Acronis (free trial and you can burn a cd with a bootable image you can use forever), then try the clean install. That's the route I would take. :huh:

#12 Napwnleon

Napwnleon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:29 PM

Alright sweet, thanks alot. I will try that.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:36 PM

During installation remove 10.74GB (most likely, recovery partition) and 140.04 © partition and create new partition.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

^Yes, you should do that to regain that empty space. :huh:

Although, it may already be too late (he may have already started on it).....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users