Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keeps turning itself on!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:05 PM

This problem just began occurring. I have a Compaq Evo N600c Laptop from mid-2001. Here's what's going on. about twenty minutes ago, my laptop was suffering serious performance issues due to overheating, (I know this because normally its a very "Zippy" Laptop). So i powered it down, removed the HDD so it could cool off, and removed power from the computer. about two minutes later, i noticed that the battery was also hot around the terminals, so i removed it as well. now, about a month ago, my CMOS battery died on me (since this laptop is at least 8 years old). So i plugged the power back in, and the laptop suddenly turned itself on! :thumbsup: it has done this maybe twice before, and it was fine once i turned it off again. So i turned it off again. Then it turned itself right back on! :flowers: So i turned it off agin. it turned on again. :trumpet: this went on for several minutes. :inlove: finally, i pulled the plug to keep the processor from killing itself. i inserted the HDD and battery again. then i waited for the cycle to continue. it didn't turn back on. i plugged the cord in. it didn't turn back on. finally, i removed the battery, unplugged the cord, and plugged it back in. the laptop began powering itself up automatically again. so it appears that this problem only occurs when the battery is disconnected, and ac is plugged in. i understand this is not that big a problem, but i am afraid that the processor may burn itself up. Can someone tell me what the heck is it doing?!?!?!?!? I REALLY don't want to have to buy myself a replacement laptop! Please help!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:10 AM

This might be a feature, albeit a weird one; try looking in the bios for a related setting. You should also get another CMOS battery so the changes won't be lost.

Also, may I ask why you would want to plug the laptop in without a battery inserted if you don't plan on using it?
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

If you have taken the CMOS battery out am i right in assuming you have dismantled the laptop? The thing is laptops are extremly temperamental and you shouldn't start randomly taking things out and replacing them whilst firing them with power.
Secondly as you have fired your laptop up without the CMOS battery you have almost certainly reset the BIOS to default setting. This auto start may be a security feature in the BIOS for flashing when no battery is attached !!!!

Finally it is completely normal for your battery and your HD to get hot, You HD can spin up to 33000 RPM

Post Scripum: If you are familiar with taking the laptop apart, cleaning the cooling fan and surrounding area would only benefit your machine.

Edited by longtooth, 10 January 2010 - 01:18 PM.

longtooth

#4 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

No, i have not taken the CMOS battery out. The last time i even ATTEMPTED to was about a month ago, when it first died. Also, i access the bios often (As I have a bootable USB Drive), and i don't recall ever seeing an auto on feature. there are very few options in this laptops bios! And the reason i took the battery out was because it was also hot. i ALWAYS keep power to my laptop, since i cant find a replacement CMOS Battery. So when i took my battery out, i plugged the AC in. I know it didn't reset the BIOS, because when it does, it displays the total amount of RAM in Kilobytes at the top left. This time it didn't do that!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:36 PM

If a computer overheats, it isn't going to slow down. It's going to shut off
If it seems hotter than normal, you might want to check out the fan and maybe blow out the vents [on the back and bottom] with a can of compressed air
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users