Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powerline Networking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

I am looking into possible using powerline networking in the future.

Does anyone currently use it? I have seen on Netgear Website that there is 14, 85, and 200 MB speeds i could use.

I have a 10/100 router (Netgear WGR-614), would the 200MB be worth it to get?

Also, the 14 MB, is the slower speed really that noticeable?

What intend on doing in the future is getting a media reciver for my TV. I know i could go wireless, as i am looking for the most practical thing, at the best price. My TV and Desktop computer dont move, so the wireless idea is not a must. I only want to go wireless if what i am using is portable. I also dont want to have cables running all over my house.

I just bought a Happuage USB TV Tuner, as plan to record TV and store it to my USB external Hdd plugged into my Desktop. I will then access via my network, when i do buy that media device in the future. Right now i am just using my laptop, and plug it to my TV with an S-video cable.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:57 AM

You have to think of bandwidth is like a pipe and the signal is like water flowing through it. You might as well get the 200 now even if you are only using a small bit of it because when you start streaming video that pipe is going to fill up fast.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:25 AM

So...if my router "sends" at 100MB/sec, then the network will only run at that speed, even if it can handle higher?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:22 PM

yes only as fast as the slowest component/link.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:41 PM

well what i was looking for if anyone out there has or is currently using powerline networking.

I have a USB TV tuner on my Desktop right now.

Since were i live i cannot pick up a signal, the only choice for TV is Comcast. My landlord wont let me install a DirectTV Dish, or intall the AT&T U-Verse. I will subscribe to the basic package only, without a box. I plan to record TV to my USB external Hdd.

what i want to do is to plug a cable from my router, to the powerline device, plug into my wall outlet behind my desk. I will have a second powerline device behind my TV, to which i will run another cable to a media device, which is connected to my TV.

Is that possible? It doesnt sound too hard, and from the looks of it, its not that expesnive either.

Also, my wifes biggest concern is that will powerline networking cost money (in higher electic bills)? Also, is it safe? i dont want to have an over voltlage on my power lines, and risk a fire.

To add, about my signal, i know that its were i am at that i cannot pickup a signal. I live in a River Valley, and my building is soild brick, a former textile factory that was converted into Condos. My Aunt Lives 5 miles away (south) from me and picks up signals just fine. She lives in a standard house.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 10 January 2010 - 11:45 PM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:23 PM

That is what powerline networking does. You plug one device in one spot and it uses the power lines in your home to transfer the signal around to another device.

Its not going to raise your electric costs.

Some reading

#7 MCF3778

MCF3778

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:07 AM

I use the rule if your just using the internet get anything faster than your isp... if your going to be sharing files between computers get faster, you will not be happy making a copy of a 5 gig file and moving it at 11/20 mbit, I do all mine at 54 and wish it could be a little faster, I was thinking about powerline network adapters but im now figuring out using a second wireless router as a bridge is much cheaper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users