Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeing Up C Drive Space

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 koolkev

koolkev

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

Hey guys I am trying to free up more space on my hard drive as I was down to only I.8 GB's out of a possible 20. I deleted a number of programs and old files and ran disk clean up and now when I checked the free space available, it actually now says only 1 GB, I actually lost space, not sure how. My question is I have the following windows components eating up a ton of my space. What I want to know is some of this appear to be very old, and I was wondering can they be deleted without causing harm..Thanks

Microsoft Net Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
Microsoft Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack2 183.00 MB
Microsoft Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack2 180.00 MB
Microsoft Net Framework 3.5 SP1 19.42 MB
Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition (ENU) 1.74 MB
Microsoft Visual 2005 C++ Visual Redistributable 5.20 MB
Microsoft Visual 2008C++ Visual Redistributable 10.28 MB
MSXML 4.0 SP 2 2.62 MB
MSXML 4.0 SP 2 2.72 MB
MSXML 4.0 SP 2 2.77 MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

Yes you need these files, turn off system restore that should free up a gig or 2, but make sure you turn it back on

Edited by longtooth, 09 January 2010 - 09:53 PM.

longtooth

#3 koolkev

koolkev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:22 PM

Thanks 4 the info.... I will shutoff system restore and I guess I just need to add some memory.......

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:28 PM

Thanks 4 the info.... I will shutoff system restore and I guess I just need to add some memory.......

Do you mean adding more RAM? This won't do anything to solve your original problem (Hard Drive being too full)....I am assuming that you are talking about a laptop here (as most desktops have much larger hard drives unless this is a very old system). You could possibly purchase a new hard drive which is probably going to solve your storage problem.

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 09 January 2010 - 11:29 PM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:30 PM

Turning system restore off is not a good idea.
What you really need is a bigger hard drive. With 20GB you'll keep struggling.
You can get 500GB drive for 50 bucks.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:14 AM

Well...how large is your hard drive (not just C:, the entire drive)?

How many hard drives are installed and how large are they?

Windows itself, even with all critical updates...takes up less than 10GB on my systems, so that's not the problem.

As suggested, a larger hard drive might be in order. Or additional storage via an external or additional hard drive connected to the motherboard.

FWIW: A 20GB hard drive hasn't been available for some time now, as files available to users have become larger and more ubiquitous.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#7 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:38 AM

Broni is absolutely right, turning off system restore is never a good idea, but the original poster was wondering why disk usage was diminishing with the deletion of files and the reason for this is that even though your may appear to be deleting files, system restore is recording them.

longtooth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users