Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell dimension e520 buzzing noise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GamerTech

GamerTech

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

i have a dell dimension e520 for day to day work. i came back after a holiday and the pc wouldnt start. it was making a buzzing sound, the monitor light was staying in standby mode and the diag lights 3 and 4 were on. according to dell thats is a memory module failure and i did upgrade my RAM 7 months ago but it was working perfectly and the new ram was recognised by windows up till before my trip. :thumbsup:
Dell XPS 420
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 Ghz
ATI Radeon HD4670 512 MB (Shared Ram 1 GB)
3 GB RAM
320 GB HDD (For now...)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

Sounds more like a PSU Fault

longtooth

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

Did you at least remove the RAM modules and then reinsert/try to boot with each?

Try (temporarily) a different PSU?

Louis

#4 GamerTech

GamerTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:55 AM

actually the problem was solved by pulling out the CMOS password jumper.................strangely enough
Dell XPS 420
3 GB RAM
320 GB HDD (For now...)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

If you mean that you shorted the CMOS jumper...then I would have to suspect that your CMOS battery may be weakening and you need to think about replacing it.

Louis

#6 GamerTech

GamerTech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

If you mean that you shorted the CMOS jumper...then I would have to suspect that your CMOS battery may be weakening and you need to think about replacing it.

Louis

No, I mean I pulled out the jumper labeled 'CLRPSWD' next to CMOS jumper. Well anyway, it went into power saver mode yesterday, started buzzing again when I shook the mouse, so I turned it off and I had the same problem on start up.

edit: i removed my CMOS settings and got the BIOS to load but it gives me an error after that and i had to manually select a boot device. the vista boot menu came up and selected home basic as usual but it gave me the BSOD and crashed.
edit: well i did what ive been putting off anyway and clean installed windows and u know what...............it went back to the first problem

Edited by GamerTech, 11 January 2010 - 11:53 PM.

Dell XPS 420
3 GB RAM
320 GB HDD (For now...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users