Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot normally

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Aorp

Aorp

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

Hi BC and BC users,

A friend of mine recently gave me her computer to fix and I told her I would try everything I could. This is what I know so far.

-- It will not boot normally, only in safe mode.
-- When I booted into safe mode I ran a scan and found 6 viruses some adware issues and a "misleading application" Norton removed all of these.
-- A friend of hers tried to fix her computer and was, "deleting registry files" because according to him even though he doesn't know much about computers it's "easy to tell what doesn't belong". Yeah, not so much.
-- I do not have her XP home disk but I do have a copy of XP professional that she can have.
-- When I try and boot normally I get a few error messages such as, "Windows failed to log you on with the selected user so has logged you on with the default user" or something close to that. I only had 30 seconds to remember it and with no writing utensils I was SOL. the message continues to say "DETAIL: Windows lacked sufficient resources to perform that action" or something similar.
-- At this point of logging in the screen just stays the color of the login screen and nothing happens. No crash. just nothing.
--There are a few other messages that I haven't been able to recreate since, including something about, "Parser Error: Value ?? 422" or something similar.

This is a Compaq Presario Laptop.
Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Thank you so much in advance for looking at this. My friend thanks you as well.
"I hate quotations."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

<<Windows failed to log you on with the selected user so has logged you on with the default user>>

I believe that indicates a damaged user profile, http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2004/12/15/g...p-user-profile/

Louis

#3 Aorp

Aorp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:52 AM

None of the user profiles work. Like I said I can access her files in safe mode but I can't back them up. I tried to back them up to removable media but I get the message "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function" at this point I can't proceed with that solution.
"I hate quotations."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#4 Aorp

Aorp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:02 AM

I just tried to boot normally again and I get the Error Message

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application."

This is after the loading screen for windows xp but before the logon screen.

I click OK and nothing happens. Just a black screen of nothing and my cursor which I can move around freely.
"I hate quotations."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:35 AM

When I booted into safe mode I ran a scan and found 6 viruses some adware issues and a "misleading application"

I'd start with malware forum, to make sure, your computer is 100% clean.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Aorp

Aorp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

OK then I'm going to repost this to a Malware forum even though I'm pretty sure I've taken care of it.
"I hate quotations."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

When you're declared clean, you may want to return here and we'll go from there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users