Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no sound at all

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sweettooth

sweettooth

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Hello,

I'm hoping I get some help with this. So far, all attempts from others to restore sound has failed.

I had sound until I moved my computer from one desk to another in the same room. Seriously, that is all I did. Everything is connected correctly, sound controls are on, audio volume controls are on, nothing is muted. Speakers work.

The only other thing that remained was to check if the drivers need to be updated which they do according to various scans that have been done. I went to the manufacturer to get updated drivers....no change. Since the company that built the computer doesn't sell computers anymore I went to an on-line driver site and downloaded what they offered as comparable drivers for my sound device. No change. Plus, since then I have "unknown drivers" listed under device manager that I have tried to delete but can't. I don't know what drivers they are since I had downloaded all that I was told I needed according to the scan.

I have via technologies sound device, vinyl AC'97 wave. I have tried to locate their website as bleeping computer tutorials suggested in regard to updating drivers however, it seems they no longer exist. There are place that claim to have their drivers but after a free scan you have to pay to get the drivers. Not knowing what driver website I can trust I don't want to pay for something and have it be the wrong thing. I am on disability so can't afford to put money toward my computer unless I absolutely have to.

Any help to resolve this would be so very appreciated. I want to get rid of my TV service and watch what I like via the internet but with no sound that's not an option.

Thank you for your time!!!! :thumbsup:

Sweettooth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

AC'97 wave. I have tried to locate their website it seems they no longer exist.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/
For some reason the site seems to be down

What is the make and model number of the computer?
If this is custom-built, the make and model number of the motherboard

Edited by garmanma, 09 January 2010 - 07:29 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:12 PM

i'd be tempted to uninstall the sound card and reinstall it.

longtooth

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

uninstall all audio drivers, remove soundcard from device manager, on reboot windows will detect the sound card and ask for drivers, download drive at http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/viaac97.html this driver is for a number of via chips. hope it works for you.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:54 AM

If I read your post correctly, you did at some point install drivers.

Before you run all over the place looking for more drivers here is

Something to check:

Start/Control Panel.

Open Sound and Audio Devices.

Volume tab, click on Advanced in Device Volume.

Play control should open.

Click on Options/Properties. Place a checkmark by everything, click OK.
Back to Options/Advanced Controls.

If under any of the categories, you see Advanced click on that, if a box opens that has
OTHER CONTROLS/1 Digital Output Only* check if it's unchecked. (if you see Advanced in the panel Volume Control, you won't need to check any other advanced settings.)
If it's unchecked, check it.

Open up a player, add a music file, do you now have sound? If you have to, plug the speakers into every port on the card and see if it works.

*it may have another number. If it does, check or uncheck it.

(this is for XP)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users