Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web TV?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:04 PM

I have a relitive asking about Web TV as opposed to using his computer, what are the pro's/con's costs etc.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

Well, at least you wouldn't have to buy a computer :thumbsup:
I remember a guy, I think it was on the old TTV forums , that used one.
Everyone made fun of him, but it served his purposes just fine
I'm not sure what you can do with the latest version of it
Doesn't look like much
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

Thanks I will give this post a few adys to see waht all comes of it!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:41 PM

I think the major question is what will their expectations be? They won't be able to do anything that has a 'download'. Find out what they absolutely 'must have' and see if WebTV can do it. If not, move on.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:21 AM

I don't know what they've added to web tv since I had it years ago(came with the ultimate tv) but to use it at all I had to buy a key board. Other wise it was very hard to operate with just the remote control unit. There was no actual mouse option iirc. It would be best used on a Hi Def tv. You would be able to surf the net and interact with web pages, get & send email, get RSS news feeds and of course watch videos. It was also impervious to malware, it could however pass it along in emails.

I don't believe there was much difference between the stand alone unit and the ultimate tv unit as far as the web tv feature. I'm sure the stand alone comes with a keyboard but I don't know if it has a mouse or not. Back then, the only type of connection the web tv could be configured to use was dial-up. I would think they have changed that in this day and age.

As far as cost, I'm not sure for the stand alone, I think the unit was around $100.00 and the service maybe $10.00 a month, if I remember the advertisements right. The service was an extra $0.99 a month with the DirecTV subscription for the ultimate tv. Some kind of deal they had worked out with Microsoft. Might also note that some web pages did not work as expected, not many but a few, partly do to no mouse. That has probably gotten better since then though.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

Besides a keyboard it has a set-top box
Whether that offers some type of storage, who knows?
Their website sure doesn't reveal much
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users