Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing from Windows 7 to a printer on a XP machine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:26 PM

Heres the setup:

Desktop with windows XP Media center edition has an HP Printer plugged directly into it. The printer works fine, and the XP machine has File and Printer Sharing Enabled. Desktop is hard wired to the router, all 3 laptops are wireless

Laptop #1 - Running Windows Vista, I added a network Printer, which is the printer that is hooked up to the other computer, works like a charm, it goes right to the printer directly as long as the other comp is turned on, obviously. That one is all set

Laptop 2 and 3: Running Windows 7 Home Premium, all HP Laptops. Same procedure, added the printer same was as i did vista, it recognizes the printer, adds the drivers, no error messages etc. Go to print a test page, or print a letter from any program, it sends it, still no error messages, and it just prints but nothing happens, like it printed with no problem but it doesnt print.

I can hook up the windows 7 machine directly to the printer and it works fine, so the drivers are fine. Im also able to share a folder thats on the XP machines desktop and open the folder on the windows 7 machines.

I just cant print to it wirelessly, is this a windows 7 to xp type issue??? any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:18 PM

Hmmm....you're saying that "it just prints but nothing happens, like it printed with no problem but it doesn't print". Does that mean that the printer makes noise like it's going to print, feeds paper through, and nothing is on it? Or does it not feed paper at all?

I successfully networked an XP laptop to print through my Windows 7 laptop (reverse of your setup). But I haven't done it the other way. They say it is supposed to be easy, but it never is. You typically have to fight with it for a couple hours, pull out a few hairs, multiple reboots, then it eventually works.

It should work the reverse of how I did it, but I haven't done it personally.

Here is the How-To-Geek tutorial:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/s...ndows-7-and-xp/

Start over with that and see if it works. Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

Is the printer reflected in Win 7 as a shared device?

From the little that I played around with my Win 7 install...networking procedures are a tad different than I was used to with XP.

Louis

#4 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:43 PM

The printer doesnt do anything, it just doesnt print

It seems to send it based on the very qucik status bar you see, leaves the printer que then you never see it again, so weird

but I Can share files no problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users