Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E-mail Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:13 PM

After 9 years of using e-mail I have suddenly developed extensive problems in that regard. I suspect the latest round of microsoft security updates. It started with trying to send an e-mail with Windows Live Mail (that crumb microsoft threw customers after pulling the plug on Outlook Express) a week or more ago. I didn't realize that I wasn' t online when I hit send, but reconnected immediately. That seems to be the original unforgiveable sin I committed (but probably not). No go. I rebooted. Still no go. That email remains lodged in the Outbox and will probably remain so forever, after countless reopenings, reboots, and other attempts to unstick the thing (it's just a plain old text letter), such as using system restore. Of course, I have checked my firewall---no blockage. I reset Internet settings to prompt me to allow cookies (since just about every site you might use---Yahoo, YouTube, Google, amazon, etc., forces you to allow them). Nothing works. I even tried to set up a new gmail account, but after successfully setting it up, the Google page that appears insists that my browser (IE6) is not allowing cookies---this in spite of the fact that I have made the allowance over & over & over again. I deleted temp files & cookies, as prescribed. I even briefly shut off my antivirus and firewall. Nothing works. Dolts.

I initially attempted to remedy the situation with Live Mail by doing the prescibed thing according the error pop-up that I used to get---go to their website. Funny thing, I couldn't find that exact address on Internet. I went to the Windows Live home, but every single time I hit a link to another page, I unfailingly and immediately got the unable to connect page. Now it seems that I can't even get into the Live home page, stopped cold at mid download. At any rate, when I was able to access the home page, I couldn't find any way to get in touch with those people.

Since my Yahoo mail account still functions (nominally), I decided to transfer the content (click n drag) from my petrified Live Mail e-mail to a new one opened in Yahoo mail. Outside of a number of perverse alterations (text colors, and so forth), this was successful, except for the fact that it would not accept the lone photo in the original e-mail. This I found unacceptable, so I, after other tries, attempted to add it as an attachment. No dice. It seems that Yahoo is requiring that I redownload that option. OK, so I attempted that---you guessed it. I was put on perpetual download mode, much longer than the stated "few seconds". More blockages. No attachments for me.

Live Mail absolutely will no longer allow me to send or receive messages. I did receive some e-mail briefly once after the initial problem, but no more. Now whenever I try to use it, the blasted thing prompts me with the old dial-up connection pop up. I haven't had dial-up in years, I've been using DSL. When I OK it (can't ignore it), the thing makes useless phantom phone call attempts ad infinitum. The only other option is to cancel the infernal thing---which translates into no connection. I used to get the same some old dial-up prompt with Outlook Express, even after I switched to DSL. I'd like to eradicate it permanently, but you know how spotty online help can be---it's still with me. I've gone into settings to try and correct the problem, but all that I can find to do is make changes to the bogus dial-up mode, or to establish a new connection (DSL of course). This I have avoided because the question really is---what happened to the old one? I'm leaving a lot out, but I think I'll post this anyway...

My, but this all seems directed. If I were paranoid, I might suspect conspiracy. Maybe I'm not supposed to use e-mail any longer. What's next? I'd like to remain in the cyber age, but it looks as if I'm being upgraded out of it. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

I'm gonn'a go out on a limb here and suggest that maybe your best alternative would be to try the un-install/re-install routine....Possibly your original installation is corrupt or your settings may just be out of whack....
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 Roderunner

Roderunner

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

Open WLM click>tools>accounts, click on the account your having bother with, then click export without an alterations and save it to *****
now delete that account and configure it manually. i.e. add an email account. :thumbsup:

George's PC Specs. / Laptop.  Desktop.

#4 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

Thank you for your responses. In regards to the first---what is it that I should uninstall/reinstall? If you mean Windows Live Mail, I don't think that would solve my other e-mail problems (reread my post in regards to those). I've been using it without incident for over a year, so I don't think the blockage is due to corruption of the program, as you say. In fact, when I tried their "help" link, I found a multitude of posts from other users of WLM complaining of similar problems to mine. Oddly, the overwhelming majority of those queries remain unanswered. On rare occasions, a short answer (if it can be referred to as that) would appear, mysterious as an oracle, either granting or continuing to deny service, without explanation. To paraphrase, in my own defense, a recurring protest amongst the lost in Windows Live Mail limbo, "I've done nothing wrong---what is the problem?" The gods at WLM ain't sayin'. So much for them... Maybe they enjoy generating animosity toward their products.

On to the next response: An interesting thing happened, continuing a long line of them, on my way to checking out the 2nd posted suggestion---the topmost drop-down menu buttons File/Edit/View/Favorites/Tools/Help are no longer there for me in Windows Live Mail. I tried everything to get them back, right-clicked, and so forth, but they failed to materialize. So I was unable to experiment with the account export option. Again, I think that my above account of WLM limbo is relevant here.

On a brighter note, after contacting my Internet provider (which involved about 40 minutes of electronic roulette, and repeat disconnects) I managed to talk to a real human, in India. Although he basically did nothing (except spell "assist" for me several times on those occasions when I had to type that word between slashes---until I told him that I had been to college), I did at last regain use of my provider's e-mail service. Also, miraculously, I discovered that I was finally allowed access to the gmail account I set up days ago. Explanation? Squeaky wheel gets the grease, maybe. :thumbsup:

#5 Roderunner

Roderunner

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

ToborTheGreat, to get your menus back.

Posted Image

#6 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

Posted Image :thumbsup: Thanks for the info, Roderunner. Funny. I tried to use that before, but don't recall seeing the Show all menus option. Maybe I was too discombobulated by all my sudden e-mail issues (including with other accounts).

I have not continued with your initial Tools/Accounts suggestion yet, because I need more information before making an irreversible change. Since you seem knowledgeable about WLM, I'd like to know:

(1.) Will exporting/deleting my present account eliminate all stored e-mails---received, sent, etc.? I suspect it will. If so, there are some that I want to save. I will have to browse through over a couple thousand of them to see which ones, before I continue.

(2.) Upon exporting the current account, just put it in any file? I assume that the purpose is simple storage, not any sort of activation. If this just for backup?

(3.) By manually configuring/deleting/adding, what account would I be adding? Is this decision made automatically with a drop-down option? Is the answer <New>?

(4.) Lastly, is this essentially the same as uninstalling/reinstalling WLM?

I'll try the export/config/delete/add option, though I'm none too sure my IP won't still be blocked by Windows Live Mail, for whatever reason. But only after resolving question (1.). Thanks again.

#7 Roderunner

Roderunner

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

Posted Image :thumbsup: Thanks for the info, Roderunner. Funny. I tried to use that before, but don't recall seeing the Show all menus option. Maybe I was too discombobulated by all my sudden e-mail issues (including with other accounts).

I have not continued with your initial Tools/Accounts suggestion yet, because I need more information before making an irreversible change. Since you seem knowledgeable about WLM, I'd like to know:

(1.) Will exporting/deleting my present account eliminate all stored e-mails---received, sent, etc.? I suspect it will. If so, there are some that I want to save. I will have to browse through over a couple thousand of them to see which ones, before I continue.

WLM is not your email provider, its a tool to read recieve only. I use 3, googlemail and aolmail which dont get deleted unless I access them direct, hotmail is preset by its maker to auto delete after specified period. (including livemail)

(2.) Upon exporting the current account, just put it in any file? I assume that the purpose is simple storage, not any sort of activation. If this just for backup?

All the backup (export) is, is to save your settings.

(3.) By manually configuring/deleting/adding, what account would I be adding? Is this decision made automatically with a drop-down option? Is the answer <New>?

Google and Aol must be added manually, hot/livemail is automatic and works ok.

(4.) Lastly, is this essentially the same as uninstalling/reinstalling WLM? NO

I'll try the export/config/delete/add option, though I'm none too sure my IP won't still be blocked by Windows Live Mail, for whatever reason. But only after resolving question (1.). Thanks again.

Click tools>accounts>your account that your having trouble with then click properties, is there an advanced section????

Edited by Roderunner, 16 January 2010 - 08:16 PM.

#8 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

Click tools>accounts>your account that your having trouble with then click properties, is there an advanced section????

No. There are 4 tabs at the top: General/Server/Connection/Security. That's it. But an interesting thing happened when I clicked the Connection tab & unchecked "Always connect to this account using:"---I started receiving e-mails in Windows Live Mail backed up since 1-7-10. But the e-mail I composed on 1-7-10 still ain't leaving the Outbox.

#9 Roderunner

Roderunner

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:22 AM

Hi ToborTheGreat, as you dont have an advanced tab there is nothing to worry about if you delete your account as its always reinstalled correctly if your name@whatever plus password is correct. Unfortunately you have no control as to when your emails are deleted from your server, but you can save them if you need to reinstall. I dont think you will need to now as you removed check mark from connections tab, I never used it.
If you want to back-up all your mail, click file>export>messages>microsoft windows live mail, and save everything in a folder name of your choice where ever you want. If you want to play with it make a copy first.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:39 AM

To delete the stuck message in the outbox:

Open Outlook. Go to File and select Work Offline. Quit Outlook. Open Outlook, go to Outbox, delete the email or move to Sent Items folder. Now go to File and select Work Offline and remove the checkmark.

If that doesn't work:
disconnect your PC from the cable modem. Now launch Outlook. Outlook will try to do a send/receive cycle, but it will fail pretty quickly. Now, you can open the outbox and delete the stuck message. Close Outlook, reconnect the PC, and you should be back in business.

#11 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

By Outlook, I assume you mean Windows Live Mail. However, in the spirit of adventure I decided to try the procedure on my long defunct Outlook Express. Although I moved the last stuck email from my Outbox there to the Sent box with no trouble, that's about as far as it went. Oh well, I wasn't expecting any miracles; as I said, I believe they pulled the plug on OE about a year ago. I'd sure like to get that back, though. It was the best.

Then I tried the technique on Windows Live Mail. I had a problem with step 1; it was no go. However, when I applied step 2 with the modem disconnect, an amazing thing happened. The stuck email was sent (after I had transferred it to the Sent file), and I didn't even have to delete it. I even sent out a follow-up demo email, just to be sure. And you were absolutely dead-on, Queen-Evie, I was "back in business." :thumbsup: Thanks for the expertise, you saved me from WLM limbo (like I was really going to go through all that).

I just love this forum! I appreciate all the input, and the interesting & useful suggestions I have received regarding my email problem. I'll be saving this whole page for future reference.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

OOPS. My reply is a copy/paste of a canned speech I and others have used in another forum when posters ask about stuck messages in the outbox. I usually remember to change the name of the email client to the one the poster uses.
I've been following this topic from the beginning, I knew you were talking about Windows Mail, and I forgot to change the name to reflect that.
Kudos to you for trying it and I am glad it worked for you.

#13 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

Oh. By the way, I was wrong about that e-mail actually being sent. I don't think it ever made it out, I just was able to move it to the Sent file. But at least I got it out of the way, and I've been able to send e-mails since then. So far, so good. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users