Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

move files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 agordito

agordito

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

I want to move a cdf file of addresses from my windows 7 home premium computer to a new mini computer running xp sp3. Can I just copy from windows 7 machine to a usb flash drive and then copy from usb flash drive to the xp machine or is it more complicated?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

Yes, copying files from one computer to another is just that simple.

Whether or not the files will work when you get them to the XP machine is no guarantee. I'm assuming cdf files are what the Windows Address Book uses? (I don't use it, so I don't know) It should be back compatible with the XP version of the program, but there is no guarantee.

Copying is the easy part, but if the files won't open, then you might run into problems.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 WalkerA_WinTeam

WalkerA_WinTeam

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:31 PM

I want to move a cdf file of addresses from my windows 7 home premium computer to a new mini computer running xp sp3. Can I just copy from windows 7 machine to a usb flash drive and then copy from usb flash drive to the xp machine or is it more complicated?

Hi agordito,

Windows Address Book has been replaced in Windows 7 by Windows Contacts, which uses the .contact file format, not .cdf -- is that what you meant? Or perhaps you received the .cdf file on your Windows 7 computer in an email from someone?

Cheers,

Walker
Windows Outreach Team

Edited by WalkerA_WinTeam, 13 January 2010 - 08:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users