Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


USB Drive

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 heshie75v


  • Members
  • 47 posts
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

I use a USB flash drive to back up files on my PC...How is that is has changed from the "E" drive to the "G" drive??? How can I change that back again??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 longtooth


  • Members
  • 70 posts
  • Location:bath
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:57 PM

Click Start/Control panel/administative tools
scroll down the list to computer management and select that. then select disk management, scroll down till you find your pen USB and right click
you should have the option to change drive letter paths

Longtooth PC Solutions


#3 hamluis



  • Moderator
  • 56,272 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:05 PM

All partition/drive letters (other than C:) can be easily changed in XP by using the Disk Management function.

The only caveat is that you cannot change a partition letter to a letter which is already assigned to a partition...until you change the letter assigned to that partition.

Example: I have a hard drive with 3 partitions (C:, E: F:), one of which is the boot/system partition containing Windows. The Windows partition letter cannot be changed, but the other two partitions can be changed. My D: is assigned to my DVD burner.

If I want to change the E: drive to D:, I can do so...after I assign a different letter to my burner (let's say I make it Y:.

My drives reflected will then be...C:, E:, F:, and Y:.

I can change either E:, F:, or Y: to D, G, H, I, etc.

All partition/drive letters can be changed at any time, as long as I understand this. I change mine all the time, according to whatever I think makes sense at the time :thumbsup:.

Disk Management - http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_management.htm

You didn't ask but...volume names can be changed anytime, using the Explorer right-click.


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users