Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware/malaware

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xjs4jeremy

xjs4jeremy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

Hey guys, I've got the common problem of getting redirected when I click on google- and yahoo-searched topics. There are at least 4+ different sites I am redirected to. I've tried both Internet Explorer and Firefox w/the same results. I have also ran Spybot w/o success, and Malawarebytes Anti-Malaware w/o success. Can anyone help me out? Much thanks in advance.
Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 basile

basile

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

Have you checked your host file?

if not, make sure you enable viewing of hidden files

go to local hard disk - windows - system32 - drivers - etc

There you should see a file called hosts, double click on it and open it with notepad you should only have 127.0.0.1 and local host (Windows puts some stuff in there above that too so disregard that)

if you have anything underneath 127.0.0.1 localhost
then you have a problem, unless you are in a domain or you have edited this yourself. I would right click on the hosts file and click rename and rename it hosts.old

Then open up a notepad document and put

127.0.0.1 *tab* localhost

save with no extenstion - for this you might have to enable file extenstion viewing.

if you need anymore help or if this doesnt work just let me know.
"Maybe if you give me the bad news in a good way, it wont be so bad." Robin Hood Men in Tights

#3 xjs4jeremy

xjs4jeremy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

Hi, thanks for taking time to help me. I checked the file and there's a crapload of files under 127.0.0.1 localhost...all supposedly put there by Spybot??? I tried what you said, though don't think I did it correctly. Any more specifics or ideas?

#4 basile

basile

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

Did you try to just delete the host file in general? Windows should regenerate it automatically if anything.

just a note for the future:
don't use spybot lol if anything malwarebytes is your friend.

Edited by basile, 09 January 2010 - 09:51 PM.

"Maybe if you give me the bad news in a good way, it wont be so bad." Robin Hood Men in Tights

#5 xjs4jeremy

xjs4jeremy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

Ok, just deleted the files and it worked so far...no more redirecting. However, during the troubleshooting process windows started opening stating, for example "iexplore.exe-Bad Image." Usually 1-5 pop up, though I can click OK and proceed w/o problems. Any ideas on these?

#6 basile

basile

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:54 PM

Nice! I have def seen that before. If i may ask what operating system are you running? Also, what version of Internet explorer are you running?

For the fix:

This depends on your version of internet explorer, but reset it
if you have 7 or 8 go to tools - internet options - click the advanced tab - reset

after that close out and see what happens.

Are you getting this message when booting into windows or when you open IE? I am assuming you mean booting into Windows.

Do a quick scan with malwarebytes as well, its def virus related.

note: don't forget to update malwarebytes! (update tab - check for updates!)

Edited by basile, 09 January 2010 - 11:56 PM.

#7 xjs4jeremy

xjs4jeremy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

Ok, I've got IE 8, and I also use the newest version of Firefox. I tried the reset and it did not work. I get these error windows when I'm booting and when I open IE and Firefox. I've ran Malawarbytes scans numerous times and no infections are found... :thumbsup:

#8 xjs4jeremy

xjs4jeremy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users