Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A couple questions about conversion to NTFS file system

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

I have a Compaq Presario 5000 Model 5BW284 PC with Windows XP Pro. I want to convert the file system from FAT32 to NTFS since that is what's recommended for my situation. I have a C drive and D drive. Conversion to NTFS is recommended for drives with over 32GB volume. Since the D Drive is less than 3 GB, should I just convert the C Drive to NTFS and leave the D drive at FAT32?

Also, it's recommended to backup the system before doing a file conversion. I have never done this before. I would need to backup about 6.3 GB with the Windows backup utility. It would take too many CD's to do this, so would a removable mini USB flash drive work?

Thanks,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

First and foremost if you reformat your drive you will loose ALL data!! secondly your D:/ Drive is the same as your C:/ drive, Drive D is just a partition on the c drive (One hard disc two sections)

What's more the D:/ partition on a Presario 5000 contains emergency repair files to restore your PC back to factory settings in case your Os ever fails. Formatting this partitian will erase this data.

If you really wan't to reformat your C:/ drive, leave the D:/ partition intact in case you ever have to restore your pc. Why is the C:/ drive in FAT format?

Hope this helps

longtooth

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

Ok Dave,

I've got a couple of questions for you also...Do you have two completely seperate hard drives, one labeled C and the other labeled D? Or do you have one hard drive with two partitions...one C and the other D (which I think is the case since you state that D is only 3 GB)? Do you have in your possesion a genuine XP installation Disc or Recovery CD's? (makes a big difference)...By changing from Fat32 to NTFS you are aware that you will have to re-format your drives? (I am sure that you do, otherwise you wouldn't be asking about back-up information would you)?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/ntfs-or-fat32-which-should-i-choose/

As far as I know, you should be able to back-up your files and programs onto a flash drive (providing you have one large enough) or onto an external hard drive ( I bought one at WalMart a few years back that ran about $80.) If you have a retail XP installation CD it is really easy to load it in...run set-up...partition your drives...select Fat32 or NTFS and format them...Install XP....Activate...If you have recovery CD's it is a little different but not by that much...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

FWIW: Converting to NTFS from FAT32...is not the same as formatting.

The conversion is a built-in tool for XP, How to convert a FAT16 volume or a FAT32 volume to an NTFS file system in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881.

Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP - http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

Louis

#5 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for your response. Ok, I didn't say anything about reformatting. I don't want to reformat, I want to convert to NTFS file system. Two different things. The Windows manual says you can convert file system without losing any data. But they say make a backup just in case.

I'm not sure why the C drive is in FAT32 file system. My guess is that it carries over from Windows ME because I use a Windows XP upgrade CD.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think you read my posting very carefully.

#6 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:58 PM

You learn something new every day...Thanks Louis...The way that the original poster asked his questions led me to beleive that he was getting ready for a fresh installation...I need to read things more carefully....

#7 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:05 PM

Hamluis is absolutely correct, Reformatting and converting are two different procsses (but both will result in the loss of all data)

longtooth

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

Wrong, please read the Microsoft link I provided.

Louis

#9 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

Hear hear Grumpy my hands are in the air, I didn't read it properly either, I have been a computer engineer for a number of years and did not know that converting the file system could leave the sub files in tact :thumbsup: so thank you both for that..

longtooth

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

We're all here to share our knowledge and ideas, no harm done :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

Hamluis we all make mistakes and learn something new every day but i hope you won't always be snappy and rude

longtooth

#12 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

My first posting must not have been specific enough

Let me answer all your questions. Yes to confirm I just want to change file system to NTFS...not reformat. It is one hard drive with separate C and D partitions. I do have a genuine store-bought Windows XP Pro upgrade disc. It installed on top of Windows Millenium.

I'm pretty sure they sell a high capacity mini USB storage device that will suit my needs

One thing to note. Even though C and D drives are separate partitions on the one drive, the built-in XP conversion tool will not convert both C and D drives at the same time. So should I go ahead and convert both C and D to NTFS?

Edited by skymaster191, 09 January 2010 - 01:21 PM.

#13 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:20 PM

Last post was said in jest with a smile, no offence meant :thumbsup:

longtooth

#14 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:24 PM

I would leave the D partition unless you use it to store files as it is the restore partition. also you only have an XP upgrade so if your system ever fails will can not perforn a clean install. I can see no harm in converting the D drive but can't see a benefit. My apologies for not reading your original post correctly

Edited by longtooth, 09 January 2010 - 01:30 PM.

longtooth

#15 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

I guess that my answer would be definately convert the C partition...The D partition may or may not be the recovery partition but I would convert it also...You may want to re-read the second link that Louis provided carefully about re-alignment of partiitons carefully before plunging ahead...I have not done this before so this is where I step off the bus....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users