Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed malware, now can't boot up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Morrison

Rob Morrison

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Having trouble with my 4 y/o HP Pavillion dv4000, running XP Home.

I could not get it to boot up and let me log into my regular (Admin) account, it kept freezing up when I entered the password. My company laptop was recently attacked, and I discovered this site via our IT Help Desk.

I booted the HP in Safe Mode, then ran rkill and Malware Bytes. MB cleaned several files, but I still can't boot up. I enter the password and it simply clears the password box and does nothing further, although the hard drive is running non-stop. I went back into safe mode and removed the password to see if that helped. Now it simply freezes at the Welcome screen. Again, the hard drive is running steadily.

Any way to know if this is malware that the above programs missed vs. an aging computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

Start here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...0#c00006110_doc
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#3 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

The malware has corrupted or deleted your winlogon files, you need to do a Windows repair from your XP Disc.

To be honest i would get a new laptop ASAP as that model has a manufacturing fault, has your wireless card given up yet? That is the first of an amalgamation of troubles eventually leading to DEATH. I have had 5 or 6 of these models in my workshop in the last 6 months all with the same faults, HP extended the warranty on these machines by a year but stopped short of recalling them. The problem is the cooling system which causes components surrounding the CPU to start failing and burning out, the wireless chip being the firsr and eventually the video chip, which is on board and can not be replaced. HP machines are cheaply made. Can't go wrong with a Dell or a Sony

Edited by longtooth, 09 January 2010 - 12:08 PM.

longtooth

#4 Rob Morrison

Rob Morrison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:42 PM

Longtooth, what do you think about the Mac?

#5 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

Just my 2 cents:

I have a neice and nephew (both in college) with Macs and they love them...I haven't had that experience but since Apple was the first to venture into personal computers long ago (although they don't call them PC's), you probably can't go wrong if you choose that route....
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users