Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I goofed,now what?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rhubarb

rhubarb

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:26 AM

:thumbsup:

Hi BC.

I put my computer in safe mode and ran Spybot,Adaware and A2.
PC-cillin would not run in safe mode nor would Spyblaster.
Where I goofed is instead of turning off System Restore,I created a new restore point.
My computer came out of safe mode and Spybot,Adaware,etc. had to downloaded again. Also Windows Security says that my AV (PC-cillin might be out of date.
The bugs I cleaned out are back(natch).
Should I try the process over?
Also real curious about PC-cillin being out of date.

Forever a newbie

:flowers:

Rhubarb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:37 PM

Did you create a new restore point, or did you restore to a previous time?
Can you update PC-cillin?

Run these online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Run Spybot, Adaware and A2 again, in Safe Mode.

Let us know the results.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rhubarb

rhubarb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:36 AM

:thumbsup:

Tq1911,

Sorry so long to get back to you.
I had gone back to a previous restore point in System restore.
Pandaactive active scan found 8 spyware. More than enough
After downloading A2,Spybot,etc. I went to safe mode and tried again.
Adaware found 2 offenders,A2 found 1 in safe mode.

Went back to normal mode and ran everything again.

Everything seemed fine. PC-cillin seemed to be working fine as well.
This was in the am of Aug. 23. In the afternoon I received an alert from PC-cillin.
The alert came while I was running A2. SPW_VCATCH.A was detected and denied
by PC-cillin. I had had this one before,beginning in July.
PC-cillin was the only one that detected this thing. Searched the virus library of PC-cillin and found nothing. A Google search led me to a Trend list of spyware and adware but nothing about VCATCH.
Am strongly considering dumping PC-cillin. The spyware scan rarely catches anything and the virus scan takes forever. A2 takes longer but catches more.
Ever hear of VCATCH? One thing I do remember. It came with a free anti-virus
scan I ran once. Nice gift.

Computer is running much faster than before. Of course Outlook Express often starts slow.

Any advice? :flowers:

Rhubarb

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:04 AM

Other than what I've read on their site, I've never heard of vCatch.
vCatch is supposed to be an anti-virus application, put out by MinuteGroup.
The free version appears to be adware:

Free of advertisements! (Full version only)

Personally, I don't care for adware products, as there are a lot of free programs, that don't include adware, that work just as good, if not better.
Have you looked in Add/Remove Programs for a vCatch entry, and tried to remove it from there?
If you can't remove it from there, I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
If you post a log, add a link back to this thread, so the one helping you will have a little history about your problem.
Here's how to post a log:
Read How to post a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

The reason and PC-cillin's spyware scanner don't catch the same thing is because different scanners have different ways of detecting problems.
That's why it's a good idea to have several spyware scanners.
What one misses, hopefully the others will catch.

As far as PC-cillin's virus scanner taking a long time to run a scan, that isn't unusual for a good antivirus.
Running it in Safe Mode should cut down, some, on your scan time.
In fact, it's a good idea to run all of your security apps in Safe Mode.

If you do decide to go with a different AV, there are some good free ones listed in this thread.
Freeware replacements for common commercial apps

Your Outlook Express starting slow could also be associated with vCatch

Let us know how everything turns out.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users