Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keeping Private Files on the Hard Drive - such as word, excel, and pdf focuments

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cluelessgirl

cluelessgirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

I have some personal files on my hard drive in C: and H: such as word, excel, and PDF documents.

My windows has 3 accounts and 1 guest account. I put all my files in my 3 password protected accounts. I have 1 guest account but there is nothing important in there.

I am worried if someone steals my computer (just takes the whole hard drive box), can they access my documents on my hard drive without my password?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Documents...yes.

The only thing a password prevents...is booting into the O/S on that drive. All data files can be accessed by attaching the drive in question as a secondary drive on a different system.

AFAIK, the only way to prevent access to data files...is to use encryption of some sort on the data files.

Louis

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:39 AM

I would be more worried about losing your files if someone stole your computer, especially if the files are encrypted. Best practices would suggest that you have a copy of these important files stored off-line in a secure place, and delete those on your hard drive that you are not using and don't need immediate access to.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:09 AM

What OS do you have, Vista and 7 have something called bit locker File encrypting Software.

longtooth PC Solutions

longtooth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users