Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps restarting after WindowsXP splash screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SuB-ZeD

SuB-ZeD

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:20 AM

Hi there,

As the topic title states, I can't seem to access my desktop. When I boot up the computer it gets as far as the Windows XP splash screen, sits there for a couple seconds loading, and then quickly flashes a blue screen before rebooting. This happens constantly. I can, however, boot into safe mode just fine. I'm not sure if this is relevant but I recently replaced the power supply in this computer.

I disabled "automatic restart on system error" so I could read the blue screen. Here's most of what it said:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters."

*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XF46FE03E, 0XF78E256C, 0XF78E2268) ***

So it seems there is no driver being identified. Here's what I've tried:

- I've tried using the windows xp cd to repair the system. The repair completed but I'm still experiencing the same issue.
- I've removed/swapped my ram sticks to try and see if it was faulty ram. Ram doesn't seem to be having problems.
- I placed the old power supply back in and have removed my video card (radeon 3870) from the mobo, now using on board video. Still same issue.
- I'm now in the Recovery Console and performed the chkdsk /r command (waiting to see if this works)

Any help/suggestions you guys could provide would be much appreciated. I've been at this god forsaken thing all day lol.

Thanks in advance.

Edit #1: Btw, I'm running SP2
Edit #2: chkdsk /r did nothing. Still the same issue.
Edit #3: Performed a housecall free scan - Found no malicious items.
Edit #4: Performed Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware quickscans - Found nothing in Malwarebytes and about 6 tracking cookies in SuperAntispyware (logs available upon request).

Edited by SuB-ZeD, 09 January 2010 - 11:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuB-ZeD

SuB-ZeD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:44 PM

Hmm, not sure if there is a rule against bumping (could have sworn I read it somewhere) but I'm getting a little worried... can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks again.

#3 SuB-ZeD

SuB-ZeD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:59 AM

I'm starting to wonder if this is a hardware issue. I have no clue. When I installed that new 550 watt power supply it seemed to power my Radeon 3870 just fine on day 1. On day two I'd load up a game for 3 minutes or so and then the monitor would show "no signal", possibly indicating that the power supply was under powering the GPU. That seemed unlikely because I checked the requirement of the Card and made sure it would have ample power (this is the last time I buy an ULTRA branded PSU).

Anyways I really hope this POS power supply didn't fry something on my system while it was under powering my video card (the video card may very well be fried). If I can boot into safe mode just fine is that an indication of anything? Most of what I've been reading shows that others with this problem (windows booting in loop at splash) can't seem to get into safe mode either.

Should I attempt fixmbr in the recovery console? I've got one hard drive and it is partitioned. I don't want to mess up the partition...

Have I done something wrong in my post? People have looked at it but no replies =(

EDIT: Since this appears to be a hardware issue, I have moved your topic to a more appropriate forum ~ Elise

Edited by elise025, 10 January 2010 - 09:48 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

http://www.google.com/search?q=STOP%3A+0x0...amp;ie=&oe=

As you can see...it's pretty hard to diagnose, varied causes...lots of ideas, no resolutions in many cases.

No point in anyone replying when there seems to be no obvious answer, based on what's been posted thus far. idle guessing is no more than idle guessing.

I would remove the hard drive, temporarily attach it to a second system...and see if I could retrieve the .dmp files from it. Those would provide something to go on...at least, more than we have now.

Louis

#5 SuB-ZeD

SuB-ZeD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I see, so can these .dmp files not be retrieved from safe mode?

Also, how are they retrieved?

Should I try the fixmbr command in recovery console?

Edited by SuB-ZeD, 10 January 2010 - 12:10 PM.

#6 SuB-ZeD

SuB-ZeD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:27 PM

Alright, I've found the .dmp file path. What's next? Do I copy and paste the entire contents of the drwtsn32.txt file? Or do I attach my user.dmp file?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

Since you can boot into safe mode (I missed that the first time), just do a search of C: for any *.dmp files.

Of course, all system files and file extensions for all files must be viewable (via Folder Options).

Once you find .dmp files, then try to follow the procedures at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...6011.html...for the last 3 files only.

If you ran a repair install...I would think that the mbr has already been replaced. I don't know why you would want to run the fixmbr command, but...the fact that you can boot info safe mode but not normal operating mode...would indicate to me that there is nothing wrong with your mbr...that's how I would interpret it.

Louis

#8 SuB-ZeD

SuB-ZeD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:06 PM

Well, this seems rather embarrassing. I'll post the solution anyways in case anyone else has this problem. I called my brother and explained the situation. He suggested that I try putting my video card back in. So I did that and voila! My computer booted back into windows normally.

So what I gather from this is that my computer was trying to use the Ati driver for my 3870, but I had taken the actual card out. I guess it was a dumb move on my part, but I honestly didn't expect the computer to go into a frenzied boot loop at the splash screen because the card was missing.

In any case, I guess this means my card (seeing as how it's displaying my desktop) is not fried. Though I think the new power supply I got may be faulty. I'll be exchanging it soon. Man, I burned through a lot of hours trying to troubleshoot this garbage lol...

Thanks for your help hamluis

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

It's your brother who merits the thanks :thumbsup:.

Glad you solved it, happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users