Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some qs re using Win Update in Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tamba1

tamba1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:07 AM

I ought to point out I am seriosuly ill, housebound & disabled and as a result I less willing to want to "fiddle/mess around with my PC" especially as it is my lifeline to the outside world, so maybe I am being overly cautious here - but thankfully this cautious approach has kept me from having nightmares with my PC.. Before becoming ill I was quite happy messing around in fact that was how I taught myself about PCs by reading and fiddling/tweaking etc

I am hoping someone can give me some assistance in improving my understanding of dealing with updates in Win vista .. Upto now I have not really had issues with win updates and will explain my situation as clearly as I can.. and Yes I have read the VERY useful Guide in Bleepingcomputers.com "Understanding Windows Update and Extras in Windows Vista" whihc I found very informative..

My situation started with researching update KB 911895 that has recently appeared in my winupdates to be installed list BUT has a publised date of 04/07/2009 .. whihc seems a bit odd?

On trying to find out more re this update it seems to be one that does not HAVE to be installed and therefore can be hidden/ignored..( below are extracts from msoft forum)

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...c-18fc31207585/

"It appears KB911895 is only for a problem with the screensaver not working properly. If you are not having this issue then you should not need to install it." from an Support Engineer MSFT Moderator

another person an MVP posted "You probably don't need this driver update. Just "hide" it."

"Just HIDE it" ?????? this was the 1st I heard of hiding updates - hence me then googling for more info and finding the fab guide ..""Understanding Windows Update and Extras in Windows Vista"" here at bleepingcomputer.com .

Now having found the above I am a bit confused as to do I install this or IGNORE/Hide it and have a cple of questions

My win update shows this "Microsoft - Other hardware - HID Non-User Input Data Filter (KB 911895)"as Important

Q1. Why wld Msoft allow me to hide ( ignore) an updated flagged as important ?

Q2. I am sure this update was not here waiting to be installed since july last year - it has only appeared recently ???? how does that happen

Q3. Prior to reading your the guide -I had set my updates set to "download NOT install" - so I could check them out on google before deciding to install them.. If it looks like an update cld cause potential issues and take some time to resolve I wld leave it till I was able to look into it in more detail and be prepared.

Yesterday I had some time to look into this KB911895 & also checked my installed updates, on doing so i read the following summary

"most recent check for updates: yesterday at 19:47 "

"Updates were installed: 18/12/2009 @16.23"

But on clicking on update history saw more recent updates had been installed ie since the 12th Dec ( does the summary info "Updates were installed: 18/12/2009 @16.23"not reflect the LAST installed updates if so what is it mean to tell me)

Here are the detailed updates shown in history

28/12/2009 KB915597 definition (1.71.1326.0)
31/12/2009 KB915597 definition (1.71.1433.0)
06/01/2010 KB915597 ( definition 1.71.1705.0)
08/01/2010 KB915597 (definition 1.71.1885.0)

At least 2 of those updates from the history ( 06/01 & 08/01) I had not "given permission to install" and I know that this has happened on other occasions with win updates too..

So my Q3. how do we stop winupdates from installing if they still install when we have the "download but DON't install option flagged"?

Q4. Some time ago I read in a forum not to not install a load of updates in one go as this could potentially cause problems.. ( another reason why I check them out on google before installing them) individually.. IS this correct information , it seems strange that user who let windows install the updates automatically do a bunch at a time if this info is correct..

Q5. I was speaking to a relative recently who does not seem to know anything about winupdates and lets ALL his updates windows, and ALL applications install automatically, I tried to explain to him why I have all set to notify me - but he said it was way to complex for him and he preferred to let pc do it automatically..

Only a few weeks ago I had another relative who had not been online for a while install a whole laod of winupdates in one go and was requested to do a restart and pc woudl not boot, so I helped him over the phone fix the problem.. but this also leaves me headscracthign as he "did as he was advised and as my other relative is doing all teh time" all they want to do is use the pc as a tool and not have to worry about these kind of things..

Q6. Please can someone clarify what the "best practice" for managing win updates is - I feel uncomfortable allowing windows to install updates automatically espec as more and more updates seem to be causing issues - like the KB 911895, but I am becoming increasingly frustated on reading posts/articles along the lines of "if msoft did not need me to install that update why did it give it to me in the 1st place"

Q7. Finally I am running Win Vista SP1 mainly because I have been spooked about installing SP2 and cannot face the thought of some of the nightmare situations some people have foudn themselves in.

Thank you for your time in reading this and I look forward to your replies
tamba1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:18 AM

Q1. Why wld Msoft allow me to hide ( ignore) an updated flagged as important ?

its windows. often times with windows, that is the best explanation. more importantly, if its not needed (i.e. there is no problem the update wont solve anything with your system) then that may be why.

Q2. I am sure this update was not here waiting to be installed since july last year - it has only appeared recently ???? how does that happen

windows update is weird. if set automatically, then it searches for what it thinks the computer needs-there are still computers out there that dont have service pack 1 installed on them. I had to manually install it myself because windows update never did find it on its own. it is a normal phenomenon with windows vista that I dont fully understand, but I do know that it is normal, if not stupid.

as to queston 3, Im not sure why it would install them without permission, Ive never seen that before.

Q4. Some time ago I read in a forum not to not install a load of updates in one go as this could potentially cause problems.. ( another reason why I check them out on google before installing them) individually.. IS this correct information , it seems strange that user who let windows install the updates automatically do a bunch at a time if this info is correct..

if the system is well maintained and kept up to date, then installing a bunch at a time should not hurt the system at all, unless you get impatient and shut the system down or try to stop the install process halfway through. If kept up to date, then the updater should never have to install more then 2-3 at a time anyway. with certain setups and driver configurations, especially with custom jobs, it may cause issues but vast majority of the time, it should not.

Q6. Please can someone clarify what the "best practice" for managing win updates is - I feel uncomfortable allowing windows to install updates automatically espec as more and more updates seem to be causing issues - like the KB 911895, but I am becoming increasingly frustated on reading posts/articles along the lines of "if msoft did not need me to install that update why did it give it to me in the 1st place"

that is really dependent on the user/system. different configurations can cause issues with lots being downloaded at once, especially on a weaker system like I mentioned before. Me personally, I have mine turned off completly-I dont even want them downloading, because im a gamer and downloads in the back ground cause me to lag. I manually check about once a month for updates and install them in the first place. and many updates arnt necessary-but may make your life easier depending on what you do with your machine, or may be completly useless to you, thats why theyre optional. and with automatic updates, it just installs any update that involves the running of the machine because it doesnt know what you want the machine to do, it just installs them with the "better to have it and not need it" mentality.

Q7. Finally I am running Win Vista SP1 mainly because I have been spooked about installing SP2 and cannot face the thought of some of the nightmare situations some people have foudn themselves in.

I havent heard of any nightmere situations, but if thats a concern, you dont have to install sp2. if its running stable with sp1 keep it there if thats what you want, just keep in mind that sp2 does most likely include some security updates, and may leave your computer vulnurable if you dont. know if your running a good firewall, that shouldnt be an issue, but just something to think about.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users