Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatically Closing Programs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sportzdude1213

sportzdude1213

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

Hello, I have recently re-imaged my laptop after it was experiencing a few lag issues but I believe it is more along the lines of RAM (besides the point). I have installed Norton 360 and this was about my third re-imaging of this particular laptop (2 years old). Whenever I open a full screen program after a certain time (30-90 minutes) the program automatically closes without any error dialogs. Nothing happens before or after this anomoli and I would appreciate if someone could give me their two-cents. I DO have a partitioned drive expanded off of my C: drive.

What I think:
I don't believe it to be malware because I just re-imaged.
It could deal with memory like a memory leak of sorts but I'm not sure if that makes sense.

RAM: 1500MB
Processor: 1.73 GHz 1.73 GHz Intel Celeron M

Edited by sportzdude1213, 08 January 2010 - 08:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

hello

you asked for two cent's worth, I would start by uninstalling norton (as a test) and be sure to use the proper removal tool!

next: if you reimage a drive with an infected image, couldn't you still be infected?

If you have the recovery discs, I think theres a memory test under startup repair...http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

alright thats my 2 cents worth!! :huh:

good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#3 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

Hi sportzdude1213,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

What version of Norton 360 do you have installed on this computer? You should have the latest version installed, which is version 3.5. If by chance you are using an older version, one of the advantages of having a subscription to Norton 360 is that you are entitled to free product updates for the life of your subscription. This allows you to take advantage of new product features, including the latest technoilogies to combat infections. If you need to update, please visit the Norton Update Center at the link below.

Norton Update Center

To rule out an infection as the source of the problem you are having, please manually run LiveUpdate from within Norton 360 version 3 to ensure you have the latest updates applied. Next, restart your computer into Windows Safe Mode, launch Norton 360 version 3 and complete a "Comprehensive System Scan" to check for infections.

Let me know if any infections were found and if Norton 360 was able to either remove or quarantine the infected files.

Thanks,
Mike

Hello, I have recently re-imaged my laptop after it was experiencing a few lag issues but I believe it is more along the lines of RAM (besides the point). I have installed Norton 360 and this was about my third re-imaging of this particular laptop (2 years old). Whenever I open a full screen program after a certain time (30-90 minutes) the program automatically closes without any error dialogs. Nothing happens before or after this anomoli and I would appreciate if someone could give me their two-cents. I DO have a partitioned drive expanded off of my C: drive.

What I think:
I don't believe it to be malware because I just re-imaged.
It could deal with memory like a memory leak of sorts but I'm not sure if that makes sense.

RAM: 1500MB
Processor: 1.73 GHz 1.73 GHz Intel Celeron M

Edited by Michael York, 11 January 2010 - 05:22 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#4 sportzdude1213

sportzdude1213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

Yeah I'm clean... only a tracking cookie. All up to date.

Interesting: It seems every time I start Windows, four updates fail to actually update even after, well, updating them everytime I log on. Two security updates and the Framework for SP2.

Edited by sportzdude1213, 11 January 2010 - 09:05 PM.

#5 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

Hi sportzdude1213,

There is nothing in Norton 360 that would cause your applications to just close down. If Norton 360 had reported that your machine was infected, then there would have been the possibility that some of your application or system files could have been infected which could cause a problem like the one you are having. If this were the case, Norton 360 would have notified you of the infected files and would have given you the option to quarantine or remove the infected files. Since you just reinstalled Windows and ran a Comprehensive Scan and no infections were found, I would suspect that the problem is related to either a corrupted OS, software conflicts or a hardware issue.

Thanks,
Mike

Yeah I'm clean... only a tracking cookie. All up to date.

Interesting: It seems every time I start Windows, four updates fail to actually update even after, well, updating them everytime I log on. Two security updates and the Framework for SP2.

Michael York
Symantec Corporation

#6 sportzdude1213

sportzdude1213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

Well it worked orginally, I reinstalled Vista, it closed randomly, reinstalled again, closed randomly. (Both 100% Clean installs).. software couldnt be an issue so how would I look into hardware issues?

#7 Michael York

Michael York

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

Hi sportzdude1213,

I would suggest that you either post the issue you are having in the Hardware Forum on Bleepingcomputer.com or contact the manufacturer of your computer for assistance in figuring out what is causing the problem you are having.

Thanks,
Mike

Well it worked orginally, I reinstalled Vista, it closed randomly, reinstalled again, closed randomly. (Both 100% Clean installs).. software couldnt be an issue so how would I look into hardware issues?

Michael York
Symantec Corporation

#8 sportzdude1213

sportzdude1213
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for your help, I'm going to go get a Gig more memory and see if that works if not I'll call. Really do appreciate it.

#9 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for your help, I'm going to go get a Gig more memory and see if that works if not I'll call. Really do appreciate it.

have you checked your memory?

start > type memory(in the search box) click the memory diagnostic tool & and run it at next reboot!!!

good luck
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users