Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

very slow copying files and folders

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 notamondayfan

notamondayfan

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

hey guys,

im experiencing extremely slow speeds when i copy files. im copying my website folder as a backup, the folder size is arpund 300mb, and contains hundreds of small files. in xp it would take a few seconds, but in 7 its taking over 30 mins!!

anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? im running AVG free, and not a lot else.

cheers, dean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:04 AM

AVG can slow it down as it is scanning all accessed files. You can verify if it is AVG by shutting it down for a while.
I recommend you avast! antivirus http://www.avast.com which is free and low on resources.

#3 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

i thought that too initially, but turning it off doesnt make any difference.

also, my other older desktop runs XP with the same AVG and it doesnt have any problems.

any other sugestions?

cheers, dean

#4 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

ok its definately related to the amount of files, not the size. im moving 1mb folder with over 800 files and the speed is around 2.2 kbps!! that means its taking about 8 mins, and really taking the piss!!

#5 Bolsterplate

Bolsterplate

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

Are you copying files to and from local disk(s) or over a network?

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:11 PM

If it is related to amount of files, then you may need more RAM. Windows stores the files to be copied in RAM before it starts to copy them. Try to close down some unnecessary apps. You can also try, TeraCopy (free for home users) : http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

#7 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:47 AM

copying over a network, and locally give the same problems.

i have 4gb ram, so that should easily be enough to cope with something as simple as this. my 5 year old xp system as 1gb ram and doesnt have any problems at all.

ill give that teracopy a go, it still seems strange though that win7 gives me this prob.

dean

#8 Bolsterplate

Bolsterplate

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:55 AM

I saw this and other similar articles http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-7/...al-compression/

however, RDC *should* only effect copies over a network. It may be worth a try, tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users