Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yellow Question Mark SMBus Controller

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 supawiz6991

supawiz6991

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

Hi,
Device manager isnt reconigzing the smbus controller (puts a yellow question mark next to it.). My Computer is an Emachines T3504 with an Intel Motherboard and an ATI Xpress 200 Chipset. Ive Tried installing the Chipset Drivers but it hasnt solved the SM Buscontroller issue. Any ideas?? :thumbsup:

Edited by supawiz6991, 08 January 2010 - 06:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

Try the Intel site, http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-013541.htm or http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonxpress200mIntel/specs.html.

I forgot that was before AMD acquired ATI.

Louis

#3 supawiz6991

supawiz6991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

Neither of those helped. Ive been to the ati site before but no luck. The intel one i dont think will work because that is for Intel chipsets i have an ati chip set. Thanks for the try though. Any other ideas?

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

Hi Josh,
Did you ever get this fixed? I have a similar problem. I just bought an eMachines T3504. I partitioned the 100GB HD and loaded in a Windows Setup CD. I didn't have drivers for PCI Device, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, and Video Controller (VGA compatible.) Also I had no audio device. When I partioned the HD I erased the drivers. I talked to Emachines chat and first they sent me to Intel to get the drivers for the board. That fixed the SM Bus Controller. Then they sent me to ATI for more drivers. That
fixed the Video Controller (VGA compatible.) I am still without sound and missing drivers for PCI Device and PCI Simple Communications Controller

this was from another forum and the intel driver worked here. i would follow Louis's link and install the utility

#5 supawiz6991

supawiz6991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

hmmm that is very interesting. Well its worth i shot.

#6 supawiz6991

supawiz6991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

Thus far the intel site hasnt worked. The utility it says to use to fix the problem refuse to install on my computer because i dont have an intel chip set. :thumbsup: Ill keep checking the intel site. What now?

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

i can't find a manual for this machine. why don't you try the support chat at e-machines site to see what they say ?

#8 supawiz6991

supawiz6991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:49 PM

they said your machine is out of warrenty. they asked if i had changed the os (i went from xp home to xp professional) then they were liek well your going to have to call the help line for a small fee because you changed the os. i was like wow. So needless to say they were useless. I would like to get ohold ofthat other dude and see what drives he got from intel cause i cant find one that works and there tech support wont talk to me because my board is "not supported" :flowers: I think i might be out of luck. :thumbsup:

#9 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:55 PM

OK,

I have the same issue with the Yellow ? mark in my device manager for SMBus Controller...I have tried to update the driver numerous times but to no avail....Which leads me to this...My system runs very well even though this is listed as a possible problem....,What is the status of your system? Does everything run properly or do you experience errors because of this?...If it ain't broke...Don't fix it...

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 09 January 2010 - 03:58 PM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users