Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win2K: Application failed to initialize properly

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jev

jev

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

My Win2K laptop has suddenly started acting as if its memory and/or resources are severely limited.

While running my normal complement of applications (Firefox, Thunderbird, WordPerfect, etc.), I find that additional programs or utilities (even something like CMD or Task Manager) won't open, usually giving the message "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application. When trying to access a drive on the LAN, I get an insufficient resources message. Closing a program or two allows others to run, but I've never had to do this in the past.

I am running AVG antivirus, and check routinely with Malware Bytes, Spybot S&D and AdAware. I have run scans with all four and found nothing. A check for memory errors also turned up nothing. I haven't changed anything in the configuration other than uninstalling some old freeware a few weeks ago. I have used Windows SFC to verify that all the Win2K files are unchanged.

The only solution I've found in browsing Microsoft and online forums suggests possible corrupted permissions for DLL and OCX files; I've used CACLS %systemroot%\System32\*.dll /E /G BUILTIN\Users:R and CACLS %systemroot%\System32\*.ocx /E /G BUILTIN\Users:R to fix this, but no change in behavior.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!
--Jay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users