Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DRIVER_IRQ BSOD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Soloratov

Soloratov

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:31 PM

Maybe not the correct place to put this as I can't even get Windows to load, but I will try anyway.

So here is what is going on. I have a laptop, and older P4 model that originally had WinXP on it. A friend gave it to me, said if I can fix it, I can keep it. The same error kept popping up for him, and now I am trying to reinstall windows, but before all the files even get copied off the disk, the same BSOD comes up. Windows is NOT INSTALLED. The error reads as follows:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT LESS_OR EQUAL

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xF8988E6C, 0x00000002, 0x0000001, 0xF87D559C)

usbehci.sys - Address F87D559C base at F87D0000

I have thus far swapped RAM chips twice, swapped hard drives, changed the very few BIOS settings that are available, and nothing seems to change. Basically, no matter what, I get half way through the copy files portion of the install and BSOD pops. It is always the exact same codes. Any ideas? My only thought is bad MB.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

From http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm:

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

The question is...what are you using to attempt this install? Do you have a Genuine XP CD...restore/recovery CDs...what contains the files you are attempting to install from?

Are there any USB devices connected when you attempt the install? If anything other than a mouse or keyboard...please turn them off or disconnect same.

I don't really see anything enlightening about similar situations on the Web.

Louis

#3 Soloratov

Soloratov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:38 PM

That is the problem. I am reinstalling using the full Windows XP disk. Also, nothing at all is plugged into the USB ports. I actually watched the install one time through, and it doesn't seem to BSOD at any specific point. There is only one RAM stick installed, and I have tried 3 different sticks. The fact that no one seems to have any issues with this error without windows installed concerns me.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:57 PM

Shot in the dark here: what version of XP does your CD have? (That is, which service pack?) If it's SP1 or less, you might want to try making a slipstreamed copy with SP3 in it.

#5 Soloratov

Soloratov
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

It's labeled as SP2. But again, I never make it through the initial install, so I can't figure out how this error can occur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users