Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

defrag stops does not complete

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Stila_R8dr

Stila_R8dr

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

I have been having issues with my machine lately.
One of the newest problem that is bothering me is when I do a defrag it stops at about 57% complete. A window pops up and says..
"Some files on this volume could not be defragmented. Please check the deframentation report for the list of these files."
When I click on "veiw report", there is nothing reported.
I have done chkdsk C:/f and sfc/scannow and retried to defrag but it still has the same problem.
I have like 63% free space so I would think that that is not the problem.
I also have had some of those pop ups that say that I am infected and it starts scanning all by itself.

help please.
Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

The Windows defrag...has never defragged all files.

It has never defragged the pagefile either.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_defragmenter_utility.htm See notes near end.

There are other defrag tools available which do some, if not all the things the native XP tool won't do, and other options. The tool mentioned there, Perfect Disk, is only one of several.

There are also free defraggers which overcome the "weaknesses" of the XP defragger.

Generally speaking...any time the XP tool cannot complete it's function...that's an indication that there is probably a file system or hard drive problem, IMO.

Louis

I suggest running the chkdsk /r command.

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2010 - 04:48 PM.

#3 Stila_R8dr

Stila_R8dr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

I had a brain cramp and forgot to add this if it helps. its one of a few from when i was tryng to figure it out on my own.

and thank you I will check those other defrag programs.

but I have got to ask, "why does it (a window) tell me that i had problems defraging and then tells me to view the report that has nothing to see on it?"

Attached File  did_not_frag.txt   2.97KB   22 downloads

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

I also have had some of those pop ups that say that I am infected and it starts scanning all by itself.

This leads me to belive that all or some of your other issues may be partly or completely attributable to malware.

My suggestion is to create a new post in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

To receive informed help, you should provide a detailed description of your problem, detailed word-for-word error messages that you are receiving, screenshots of strange behaviour, and your operating system if possible.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:55 AM

Have you compressed your drive? Try that first, i agree with Animal it sounds like malware, how full is your drive?

longtooth

#6 Stila_R8dr

Stila_R8dr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

186.30 GB capacity 115.71 GB free space is what its telling me.
I guess that I will start a new post in the am i infected forum. I am learning myself on how to ask for help correctly. I have asked in the past (for help) and had no luck. after further reading, I see that I need to do some homework before I ask for help.

Thanks all for the help so far!
Tony

#7 Stila_R8dr

Stila_R8dr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:40 PM

"disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" which disk a floppy or a windows CD :thumbsup:

OOPs this post is supposed to be continued from the post that I had started below called... "defrag stops and does not complete"

sorry "what a newb i am"

Edited by Stila_R8dr, 09 January 2010 - 09:50 PM.

#8 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

your Disk controller or your hard drive is failing, have you changed any settings or did this happen out the blue? I assume your hard disk is dead, do you have your Windows OS disc?

longtooth

#9 mrob

mrob

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:53 PM

It depends on how you have your BIOS configured. I have the boot sequence:

Floppy
CDROM
Hard Disk

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote to reduce thread clutter. ~ Animal

#10 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

THe boot sequence in your BIOS will dictate where your machine will look for instruction files first, it will run in sequence till it finds an executable file and makes no differece which order it is in as it will eventuall get to the HD (unless you have a bootable iso on one of the other devices) have you ejected all discs from the drives?

longtooth

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

OOPs this post is supposed to be continued from the post that I had started below called... "defrag stops and does not complete"

sorry "what a newb i am"

Not a problem, your two threads are now combined into one, as you suggested.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 Stila_R8dr

Stila_R8dr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:08 PM

it was a blue screen now its the black one, (and it took all long time for it to get there). I was performing all the steps that the forum said to take before posting in the "am i infected" forum.
clean computer,
disk clean up,
chkdsk,
system file checker,
device manager for problems,

THEN... direct memory access is enabled (dma)..... and there is where I am stand scratching head.)

It said that it had to reboot for the changes to take effect. it restarted and went blue with the phrase on the top of the screen that said.... Please wait.
it took what seemed like forever but then it went to the black boot screen. at the bottom of this screen it says disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

I am just ok with computers and I am not sure what to do.

thanks
signed; freaking out a bit
Tony

#13 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:19 PM

It is asking for you to install your XP installation CD...May I ask what is the make and model of your computer? Do you have a retail XP CD or a restore CD that some manufacturers supply? Do you have a recovery partition? (a lot of the major manufacturers do this)...It seems to me that what was originally a minor problem snowballed into something bigger than all of us...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#14 Stila_R8dr

Stila_R8dr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:33 PM

Its a bare bones machine that someone else built. The CD that I have is a copy of the original (the person i bought it from said that the original cd wasn't included).
It does work. I had to have a friend use it to repair my machine the last time it snowballed on me.
I remember, although, something about it needed to be slip streamed. I am not knowing how or if it was done. I wasn't the one that repaired it the last time.
do I have a recovery partition??? OOOh man ummmm. I want to say that I hope so. but.. dont know.

#15 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:43 PM

If it is a bare bones system that someone else built, then you probably don't have a recovery partition...which is OK...Your statement about slipstreaming the CD that you have is a little puzzling to me...What needs to be slipstreamed (third party drivers, service packs, etc...) or has this already been done? At any case you have what may or may not be the CD that is being asked for so bite the bullet and install it in the affected computer and see what happens...Worst case scenario...It just won't do anything...IMO
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users