Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory leak

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 n0data

n0data

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

Just installed windows 7 64-bit with 5gb of RAM. I usually run WoW, MSN, itunes and google chrome all at the same time and it'll be ok for about a day, and i usually let it hibernate (ALOT). when i turn it back on and run the same programs memory useage is at 99%, and im CERTAIN it shouldn't be. WoW is running the most memory and it's only a gig, the rest added up should only be at 2-3gb maximum. Is the memory having a leak or is it relative to the hibernation?
Thanks,
Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:49 PM

Well, when you come back from hibernate, the same thing that was there when you went into hibernation is there when you come back. If you wanted to clear the open programs, just shutdown instead of hibernating. Then when you boot, the memory usage would be less. I must admit, though, I hate shutting down. I just put mine to sleep. :huh:

But the hibernation itself won't increase memory usage. And I doubt your memory is "leaking" out. You might try running a memory test, just to make sure you haven't lost some of the chips to failure. I don't have a specific program to try, so unless somebody else has a recommendation, you'll just have to Google to find one.

If WoW uses 1GB and the other programs use 2-3GB, 3 + 1 = 4. And if the system (OS and other background stuff) uses a little under 1GB, there's where all your memory is going (4 + 1 = 5). That could explain it....

What is the memory usage after a normal boot? (before opening any programs)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

Try http://www.memtest.org/

:huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 n0data

n0data
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

Running it now, it might be sleep or hibernate. i just leave it on and it shuts itself off and it goes right back on when i hit the mouse. But uh, i looked in task manager and it's up-time atm is at 6 days and 19hrs, im really thinking that might have something to do with it :huh: but let's see what the test shows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users