Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer continually rebooting itself

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 forest house

forest house

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

I am a noob, but not afraid to follow directions.
computer was humming along fine, then just shut down. now it conitunually restarts itself (XP Professional). I hit F8 and it stops at windows boot manager screen.
only option it lists is Windows Vista as the Operating System. this computer was recently purchased and my husband did not want Vista and requested XP.
if i hit enter it does go to the welcome screen which says XP professional, then it shuts down, and starts all over again. i cannot get into safe mode, etc.

not sure what to try next.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - my husband runs his business off this computer so he is freaking out.

FH
PS. Just hit the space bar while holding the tab key and came to the safe mode screen...not sure which mode to proceed in.....

Now it is making continuous clicking noises shutting on and off immediately. had to unplug everything to shut it down....slight burning smell...i assume this is NOT good.

Edited by forest house, 08 January 2010 - 02:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Fortifiv3_*

Guest_Fortifiv3_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:56 PM

So I am assuming that you are on your computer, and then it randomly starts to shut down. Am I correct?

There is only one way that I can think of to not fix, but to "go around" this problem.

Go to notepad and type the following :

@ECHO off
cls
shutdown -a

You don't have to do it in bold, I was just using bold so that you know what specifically to type.
Save it as abort.cmd on your desktop. Make sure you save it under "All Files" instead of .txt files
Now when your computer is about to shutdown click on the file you just created on your desktop.
It should stop it from shutting down in the first place but if not reply back saying what exactly it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users