Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which drives to format during clean install of Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jnl

jnl

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:43 AM

I have not created any partitions. I believe Windows Vista is on my C: drive so I should definitely format that. I'm not sure if I need to also format my D: drive.

My D: drive has a recovery partition that says "Warning! This area of your hard drive (or partition) contains files used for your PC Recovery. Do not delete or alter these files." Does this mean I need to leave D: alone, or should I format D: because it would probably only restore me to Vista, and I'm installing Windows 7. Also, I've already made the recovery discs.

One of the guides to clean installing Windows 7 says to delete partitions. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsys...l-part-1_11.htm
I was under the impression, that I am just supposed to format them. Other guides have said to format drives, but have not gone into detail on how to do it. The site above was the one that had the most detail.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

Well, the Recovery partition is there to restore your computer to factory settings. Yes, if you used it, it would return it to the factory setting of Vista.

It is best to just leave this alone, and only format your C: drive when installing Windows 7.

If you were to ever sell the computer, you would likely return it to factory settings, and this partition would facilitate that much easier.

Also, you would likely only gain about 15GB or so of space if you formatted it, as well. To get a better idea of what your drive looks like, go to the Start Menu and type:

diskmgmt.msc

and hit Enter. This Disk Management window shows you your drives and partition in detail you cannot get in a regular Windows Explorer window. You would not hurt your computer by deleting this partition when you install 7, but there isn't much to gain.

I don't recommend formatting this Recovery partition, but if you feel like you need the extra space, if is safe to do so. It's your choice.

Enjoy Windows 7! :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users