Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Norton Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Burta

Burta

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:13 PM

I found a thread that already covers this issue somewhat but it was unable to help me, so I made a reply to that thread but I felt that this section was probably more appropriate for the question so I pose the same question here, but I will leave the link to the other thread if you need more background on the situation

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Nor...tml#entry159532

Ok well rather than typing out my problem twice I have quote what I have written in the other thread - though I have quoted within the post:

hi phantomazero,

not to worry i will give you a link and what ever version you have got
just have a good read and download the  Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

here is the link:-

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

rgrds bobby

I don't know if it is just my computer but the link you have posted here doesn't seem to be working for me - though I get the feeling the symantec site is down at the moment - its just so hard to tell these days cause my computer/norton has been giving me so much grief these last few days I can never really tell if its a problem from my end or their end.

Either way I have a much in the same problem that PhantomaZero mentioned:

I'm looking into getting rid of Norton right now then, thanks!
EDIT: The half uninstallation incident I experienced seems to have corrupted Norton, it won't start up.

Okay, here's my current situation:

I've managed to disable the security alerts. But now a lot of my internet demanding programs that require a secure connection (email, games, credit card transactions) won't function.

I'm pretty sure its not a virus, I've got AVG updated and run regular scans.

I'm at the point where I just want everything Norton off my computer and when I go to uninstall NIS it seems to half uninstall then its stuff up when trying to remove the firewall aspect of the program then I get the "Firewall is turned off" security alert, I have somehow through this process managed to stop the "internet proctection is turned off" security alert, but I still can't manage to unistall Norton. I'm also finding the other symantec programs that I'm trying to remove come up with errors like "acn't be removed at this time due to yarda yarda" Please help, I'm open to any advice at this stage - I just want to get all teh Norton stuff off to reinstall it from scratch or opt for another AV program.

I'm currently runnning XP and the program in question is NIS 2004.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Piney

Piney

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

Hi :thumbsup:

I found this
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...=&osv=&osv_lvl= which is the same link provided in the other thread, but it is available.

Having worked to remove Nortons and reinstall, I know it is a royal pain in the backside. You must follow their directions exactly (and sometimes do it more than once) for success.

Good luck Burta

Piney
Piney

Infected? Report it! <<<Click

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users