Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop switches off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cams

Cams

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:48 AM

I've got an HP 530 laptop running Vista. After about 10 minutes of use, it switches off. I don't mean shuts down, it just goes off. After that it won't switch on for a while. During those 10 minutes, the fan is running full tilt. I'm guessing it's an overheating issue. My question is, can this be fixed? Do these beasties come apart? Do they have heatsinks on the CPU?

Of course it's just a couple of weeks out of warranty :thumbsup:

Any chance of fixing this d'you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ellenknndy

ellenknndy

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:59 AM

Hey have you tried running a Malwarebytes scan, you may have a virus. If you cannot keep your computer up and running long enough to do this, why dont you try and take your hard drive out, put it into and external casing, plug it into another computer that way the computer can automatically scan the drive and fix errors.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

Get yourself a can of compressed air.
Insert the nozzle in the vents on the back and the bottom
You'll need to do this a few times

Edited by garmanma, 08 January 2010 - 11:04 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Cams

Cams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give both a try and report back.

#5 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

Are you running off your battery or power brick when this happens. if your battery is dead then this might be a faulty power brick, or a bad connection to your power brick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users