Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Browsers Crashing Incessantly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 floydhead73

floydhead73

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:05 AM

My OS is Windows XP. Recently(ever since I was infected with Malware Defense, which has since been removed), both my Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers have been crashing. After consulting Mozilla's support site, I downloaded and ran Trend Micro House Call. It found two rootkits, one removed immediately and one removed after restart. The latter returned once, and was once again removed. For a short while, I experienced no crashes. They have returned, however, and are persistent as ever. I have no doubt that, regardless of the site I'm on, the browsers will eventually crash. Some sites tend to crash more quickly(Facebook, Amazon, eBay), particularly when I attempt to navigate the site, and especially when I try to log into anything. Trend Micro House Call has detected nothing. Java is not enabled. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:20 AM

1st we need to make sure you got the viruses out.

try scanning your computer with Malware Bytes

Be sure to click update and download the updates before scanning.

Also are you running a resident antivirus for future protection? If not, try avast.com they have free reg for a year. You can install this, run updates, then schedule a boot time scan to get a real deep cleaning. If you have some resident program installed though, stick with what you have. Doubling up on the antivirus can hurt your system as they compete for dominance.

Once your viruses are out, let us know if your browsers are still crashing. At that time you might try updating to a newer browser version. This could correct any longterm damage left by a particular virus, but be sure the virus is all gone first.

#3 floydhead73

floydhead73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:57 PM

Well, I used Malware Bytes to remove Malware Defense, and I used the instructions here>>>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-malware-defense<<< to run it. But, for some inexplicable reason, it no longer works. I thought I might uninstall and reinstall it with the link above, but it refused to be uninstalled, and the file above refused to be installed(always stopping when attempting to extract the files). I was even desperate enough to try to use a different program file. At that point I was frustrated enough to just try and drag the Malware Bytes folder to the Recycle Bin. It didn't entirely work, but it did allow me to "remove" the program in the Add/Remove Program task. I say "remove" b/c the folder and most of its contents are still there! I gave installing it one last go, and it extracted the files(to a different program file than the previous) but never finished installing. All the while, I reinstalled my Avira AntiVir Personal anti-virus program, which suddenly ceased working not too long ago. It still doesn't work. The exe appears in the Task Manager processes, but nothing happens. This is endlessly frustrating.

#4 floydhead73

floydhead73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

This topic can be closed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users