Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help! Nasty virus UNINSTALLED maiwarebytes. can not d/l anymore

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Imaloser

Imaloser

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:30 PM

I was browsing the internet like usual and then noticed that a my desktop icon popped up and said it uninstalled malwarebytes. I went to go d/l it again and it wouldnt install. I get "unable to excecute file: c:/program files/malwarebtes antimalware\mbam.exe" "created process failed; code 2. the system cannot find the file specified"

then all of a sudden a little google notifier popped up and said that some program was trying to change google as my main search engine or something. A couple of random ads popped up. And then a fake "your computer is infected" ad popped up. I panicked and shut off my computer and then boot it to safe mode to try and download mbam but no dice. It wouldnt install because i still get the same error. please help!

good news. i was able to get malwarebytes to run by following the instrctions here:

Malwarebytes Anti-malware won`t install or run, you receive a code 2 error

The infection is deleted a core executable (mbam.exe) file of MalwareBytes` Anti-malware. To fix it:
1. Download Malwarebytes exe (mbam.exe, but with random name) from here.
2. Save the file to C:\program files\Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware\ .
3. Run it.

I will post my log in the next post!

Edited by Imaloser, 07 January 2010 - 11:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Imaloser

Imaloser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:01 AM

Here is my mbam log. I ran it in safe mode and reboot it in safe mode also..

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3513
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

2010-01-07 20:46:33
mbam-log-2010-01-07 (20-46-33).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 135449
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 50 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 2
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 2
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 5

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\jahomayo.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vekesuwo.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\gikehowen (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\Notification Packages (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Data: vekesuwo.dll -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bibegipe.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\jahomayo.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kubuyula.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vekesuwo.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\PJDHV8LM\load[1].php (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Edited by Imaloser, 08 January 2010 - 12:05 AM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:18 AM

Hello now these.

Next run ATF and SAS: If you cannot access Safe Mode,run in normal ,but let me know.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Imaloser

Imaloser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:17 AM

Greetings, boopme! Thanks for the assistance. Comp seems to be running ok now. I ran ATF and superantisyware in safemode. I had to go into safe mode to retrieve the log though.

Here are the results:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 01/08/2010 at 02:41 AM

Application Version : 4.26.1006

Core Rules Database Version : 4459
Trace Rules Database Version: 2280

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 02:32:25

Memory items scanned : 264
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 6527
Registry threats detected : 5
File items scanned : 122977
File threats detected : 4

Adware.Vundo/Variant
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler#{b1e3b27e-d3d6-4dfd-935e-7d07fe800a23}
HKCR\CLSID\{B1E3B27E-D3D6-4DFD-935E-7D07FE800A23}
HKCR\CLSID\{b1e3b27e-d3d6-4dfd-935e-7d07fe800a23}\InprocServer32
HKCR\CLSID\{b1e3b27e-d3d6-4dfd-935e-7d07fe800a23}\InprocServer32#ThreadingModel
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WIWUZOZA.DLL
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad#gipunijom

Adware.CouponBar
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CPNPRT2.CID

Rogue.Agent/Gen-Nullo[DLL]
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DIMCES.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RTCSSES.DLL

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:46 AM

You're welcome! One more to be sure.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Imaloser

Imaloser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

Wow that scan took 11 hours! lol

Here is the log:

C:\Program Files\HPSelect\frontend\restore.exe probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus deleted - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\system32\termsrv.dll Win32/Spy.Ursnif.A virus unable to clean
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe Win32/Spy.Ursnif.A virus unable to clean
Operating memory Win32/Spy.Ursnif.A virus

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

hi, it caught a real baddie tho :thumbsup:
Win32/Spy.Ursnif.A is a trojan that steals sensitive information. The trojan can send the information to a remote machine.

That said I want to tell you this.
One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do.

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

#8 Imaloser

Imaloser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hello boopme. Ive decided I would still like to clean out this comp!

When I double click on root repeal I get an error "Could not read file module! Please contact author!"

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:28 PM

OK, let's use another ARK and another scan tool.

Please download Sophos Anti-rootkit & save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
Note: If using the vendor's download site you will be asked to register with MySophos so an email containing an activation link can be sent to your email address.

Be sure to print out and read the Sophos Anti-Rookit User Manual and Release Notes.
  • Double-click sar_15_sfx.exe to begin the installation, read the license agreement and click Accept.
  • Allow the default location of C:\Program Files\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Rootkit and click Install.
  • A message will appear "Sophos Anti-Rootkit was successfully installed. Click 'yes' to start it now".
  • Click Yes and allow the driver and its randomly named .tmp file (i.e. F.tmp) to load if asked.
  • If the scan did not start automatically, make sure the following are checked:
    • Running processes
    • Windows Registry
    • Local Hard Drives
  • Click Start scan.
  • Sophos Anti-Rootkit will scan the selected areas and display any suspicious files in the upper panel.
  • When the scan is complete, a pop-up screen will appear with "Rootkit Scan Results". Click OK to continue.
  • Click on the suspicious file to display more information about it in the lower panel which also includes whether the item is recommended for removal.
    • Files tagged as Removable: No are not marked for removal and cannot be removed.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (clean up recommended) are marked for removal by default.
    • Files tagged as Removable: Yes (but clean up not recommended) are not marked for removal because Sophos did not recognize them. These files will require further investigation.
  • Select only items recommended for removal, then click "Clean up checked items". You will be asked to confirm, click Yes.
  • A pop up window will appear advising the cleanup will finish when you restart your computer. Click Restart Now.
  • After reboot, a dialog box displays the files you selected for removal and the action taken.
  • Click Empty list and then click Continue to re-scan your computer a second time to ensure everything was cleaned.
  • When done, go to Start > Run and type or copy/paste: %temp%\sarscan.log
  • This should open the log from the rootkit scan. Please post this log in your next reply. If you have a problem, you can find sarscan.log in C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\.
Before performing an ARK scan it is recommended to do the following to ensure more accurate results and avoid common issues that may cause false detections.
  • Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug you Internet cable connection.
  • Clean out your temporary files.
  • Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
  • Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
  • After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
  • When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.

Now run Drweb-cureit
Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Please download Dr.Web CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.
alternate download link
Note: The file will be randomly named (i.e. 5mkuvc4z.exe).

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on the randomly named file to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All. (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • After the Express Scan is finished, put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and uncheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Apply, Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • Please be patient as this scan could take a long time to complete.
  • When the scan has finished, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

#10 Imaloser

Imaloser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:48 AM

I disconnected from the internet, cleaned out temp files and disabled comodo and avast. When I run Sophos, I get these 2 errors:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It still continues to scan and when it finishes it said it found 0 infections.

Should I still proceed to run with dr. web cure it?

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hello, I think you should first run CHKDSK.

Make sure you are Log on as an administrator.
Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

CHKDSK
Open My Computer. Right click on the drive in which you want CHKDSK to run.
Click the Properties button
Click the Tools tab.
In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options .
Check one or both check boxes displayed,labeled "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".
We only need "automatically fix file system errors" for now.
Click the Start button.

Try Sophos ARK again.

#12 Imaloser

Imaloser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:31 AM

I am logged in as admin.

Here is the MBAM log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3539
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

1/11/2010 12:47:03 AM
mbam-log-2010-01-11 (00-47-03).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 137233
Time elapsed: 32 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I checked the box that says "automatically fix file system errors" and when I proceed, this comes up "The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?"

I reboot and chkdsk runs. When it finishes I run sophos again, but I still get the same 2 errors like before. :thumbsup:

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:20 AM

Hello,unfortunately, I am at the end of my knowledge on this.. Start a new topic in XP at the top. They will move you along with this. You can link to this topic as it may help them.. You are clean here...good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users