Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Console XPpro SP1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jami.Francis

Jami.Francis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:44 PM

I just did a complete reinstall on a Toshiba Satellire A105 with a Retail (& legit) XP Pro SP1 disk. I'd like to install the Recovery Console at boot. I've done all the MS updates, and installed XP SP3. Now when I put my XP Pro SP1 disk in the cd/dvd drive to run :
\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons I get an error: Windows Setup - Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Does anyone have an idea for a workaround?

Edited by Jami.Francis, 07 January 2010 - 10:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:27 PM

You could create your own XP SP3 disk.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:33 AM

Another option:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:12 AM

Do both and someday you will be happy you did.

The link about making just the RC CD is not difficult, do it first to get some understanding and confidence and then do the slipstreaming one.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users