Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"cloned" desk top short cuts, Right click function gone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ArthurDent

ArthurDent

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:05 PM

Recently had a problem with my computer, not sure if it's related, but it seemed to occure after I set up a wireless router btween my desk top (wired) and my DSL modem to accomodate a new wireless lap top.

I left my PC on one night to return in the morning to find my desk top had been changed to some sort of 'active' web page (which wanted me to buy some sort of malware detection software).

My PC sufferes from the following symptoms:

I can no longer right click on any desk top item (other than the tool bar) and bring up a context senstive menue (though I CAN right click to Marquee sompth) (nor can I select a desk top Icon and hit the menue key on the keyboard)

all desk top short-cuts & files I create are duplicated (with the exception of 'my computer' 'my documents' 'microsoft outlook' (office links in general) and the recyce bin) - for example, if I save a msword file to the desk top, it will appear twice, if I delete on, it lets me, but then there is still the other instance there and I cannot delete IT because windoze cannot find the file

navigating to display options under control pannel and I can no longer change my desk-top back ground, I can ONLY change color. I cannot 'reset active desktop' either. Further, I cannot select any image from the list of possible desk top back grounds and the 'browse' option is greyed out.

At this point I'm VERY close to backing up all essential files and reformatting my drive and completely re-installing my OS, but I'd rather avoid that, as the last time I did sompth so 'drastic' I had a very hard time getting Music Match to recognize the music that I had purchased.

Any suggestions or help is GREATLY appreciated.

~A.D.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:00 PM

I don't see how installing a router (wireless or wired) can cause your desktop to be altered.

See if you can remove the check mark that enables "show web content on my active desktop" in the "web" tab of "display".

You're saying the ad is appearing on the desktop and not in a browser window?

#3 ArthurDent

ArthurDent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:33 AM

I saw no such check box - had to click on customize desk top at bottom of display control pannel to find a tab that says web.

The web page is no longer my display, I was able to change the background color, but that is all.

every now and then when I restart the computer, the back ground changes not to a windows error stating that an error occurred with my 'active desk top' and there's a link on the desk to to reset it. It returns to the blank blue back ground I've applied.

Also, I just recalled that upon start up of my systme a get an error message something tot he effect of 'error loading snm.dll' BUT i forget exactly what the .dll file is.

I'll reboot right now and write it down and re-post.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:11 AM

(which wanted me to buy some sort of malware detection software).

See if you can let us know the name of that software.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 ArthurDent

ArthurDent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:19 AM

i no longer recall the name of the software - this was several months ago, and I found the web page that the desk top was calling on my drive and deleted it... (was that a bad thing to do?)

The error message I'm getting on start up is:

"error loading snim.dll
The specified module could not be found"

perhaps this is the 'page' that the 'active desktop' is looking for???

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:47 PM

Looks like you might have a hijacker.
Check out this link:
snim.dll
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

How to get help using Hijack This and get a team memberís assistance:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...s_Log-t956.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users