Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 granmaf

granmaf

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 06:44 PM

i was just wondering if there is any ting i can do to fix this drive. it's a western digital caviar 40gb.when formatting it froze up and i haven't been able to do any thing with it,cannot format again or install anything. just at a lost with it.use a start up disk but couldn't do much, can you please help me
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:04 PM

go to wd web site bro, and goto downloads, support, get their iso for wd diagnostics. make into a cd (follow directions) then boot from it, this will tell yoiu if u have a bad drive. if you do, wd has either a 1 or 3 year man warranty on it, go to web site again to see if you get a free replacement.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 granmaf

granmaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:52 PM

well i still can't get it to work,after running the Data Lifeguard recieved error/ status code: 0120 No Drive found

also tried to format got message format not supported on drive c: format terminated

try to fdisk got no fixed disk present

when startup disk in got disk size2,048
no valid fat system
said something about running virus detection but how?

do you think the drive is no good?

i know everythings ok on my new hard drive so it has to be the old had drive

thanks for your help

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:03 PM

sounds like you have a dead drive friend, check out WD website again to see if you still have warranty, if you can't even see it now in bios, or with lifeguard tools, and you had it working, you didn't change jumpers, and the ribbon cable is firmly in place , it sounds like a bum drive.
check out warr status

#5 granmaf

granmaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:11 PM

yes i think that sums it up, the bios doesn't reconise it either so i'm giving it up i guess it's dead.well it's 5 years old so i'm sure there's no replacing it but thanks alot. sorry i'm always asking questions,thanks again

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:13 PM

man dont be sorry, he who screws up and dosen't ask questions when he can should be sorry. this is a community where we try to help, easy question, or more difficult. sorry you have a bad hdd.
dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users