Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Security 2010 has me locked out

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 lilbird

lilbird

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

I am one of newly acquired victims of Internet Security 2010 Virus! I searched through your postings but did not see anything that would match up to what I have in a working environment or knowledge.

I am in a situation where I can not log on to XP or get into any of the alternate sign-ins available for XP using F8! (Safe mode or DOS etc.). All attempts bounce me back to a reboot.

I can't run your diagnostics of the problem drive since I don't have the ability to sign in with the problem drive at the moment, so I am hoping you could help over this little sign in hump. I think I can get the rest of the infections taken care of once I get into the drive through the normal log in.

Once I had this virus running rampant on my PC and it would not let me upload Malwarebytes or reinstall it, I used a 2nd drive that I have available as an emergency back up drive to scan the problem drive with Malwarebytes, Spybot and AVG. I removed several Trojans and items associated "IS 2010." I then physically replaced the infected drive back into the master position and found that I am now completely locked out of the log on with the drive.

I am in a different position than most as I am basically a dangerous novice but I have created some alternatives to viewing my drives or keeping my PC's operational.

I found a couple if items on the net about fixing the problem and I was on the right track until the lock out occurred. I found one fix in particular that addressed getting to the registry and doing a fix of the Windows log in but since I don't know a lot about the registry, I decided to check with you all to be certain it was a valid fix. The suggested the following;

1. Connect the infected computer to a network. Make sure that there is one computer in the network which doesn’t suffer from this problem. Now, switch on both of the computers, i.e. the infected and the working computer.

2. From the working computer, Go to Start> Run, type regedit.exe and hit enter. This will launch the registry editor.

3. Go to File> Connect Network Registry, by using this infected computer’s name or IP address.

4. Locate the following entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\[/color]

5. In this entry there is a key named userinit, double click on the key and set its value to;
“C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe,”

If the problem still persists then you need to run a repair setup.

I was not comfortable with the last statement.

I can get to the registry of the problem drive in one computer since I have the ability to use two drives and interchange them.

Hopefully you will be able to give me some guidance that may help others in this situation.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I have solved this my self. I used a UBCD Win (Universal Boot Disk for Windows available for free on line). I used the UBCD Win to edited the registry as noted above. I have since been able to log in and run Malwarebytes and I am finding a ton of BAD stuff from all of this. I will scan with the other programs next.

Hopefully this will help another person out there. I was definitely hit hard with this "IS 2010 Virus" as it cost me most of the day to get through all of teh crap they had built into this and I still have a lot of scanning to do.

Best of luck to you out there.

I couldn't find a way to cancel this post on the site here or in the Help Menu so I will have to rely upon the moderator to do it for me. I may just be worn out from all of this and missed it on the site. Sorry for the inconvenience and your time!

Thank you Mark!

Lilbird!

Edited by lilbird, 07 January 2010 - 09:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users