Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need drivers/audio & video cards after reformatting

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AhhhLeah

AhhhLeah

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:15 PM

This is a used computer which has been rebuilt. Even though it's in an eMachines case, I have no way of knowing what's original and what's not.

I reformatted with XP Pro and immediately allowed Windows to install all it's updates. I probably rebooted 10 times allowing every update to install hoping it would recognize the drivers for the audio and video cards needed installed. It didn't. I then opened the case to find model numbers of the cards. I see nothing that looks like a model number other than the model number on the power supply box.

I am pretty surprised I can't work through this especially since I've found people who have tried to walk me through (online) different things and they all give up trying to help because they have no information to work with. I'm so irritated I wonder if it would be better to replace the audio and video cards since they're fairly inexpensive. I feel like I don't have any options left but I'll need to be walked through removing and installing new cards. Anybody have any input? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:37 PM

You could try get a hold of a program called Everest pro.
Try run that on the system and there's a good chance it will identify the hardware and even provie links to the manufactorer sites.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

Several good suggestions made here. All free.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/284545/aida32/

#4 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

try the system viewer at http://www.gtopala.com/

I use it a lot. When you run the prog, go down to hardware and then motherboard and it will quite often say your manufactures model number there, then you have a little more info to go on.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:17 PM

Try this one first : HWInfo32 :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 AhhhLeah

AhhhLeah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

Try this one first : HWInfo32 :thumbsup:

Thank you for all your help. I started by running this program. I found out they were Intel so I went to the Intel site and looked for drivers but was told these are probably altered cards and that there are no drivers for them. They referred me back to the manufacturer.

Here's the info I got about the video and audio cards needing drivers:

Video: Intel i845G(L) Integrated
Audio: Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller (A-1)

Here's the info on the Motherboard: TriGem Computer, Inc, Imperial Intel 845GL (Brookdale - GL) + ICH4
Bios Date 8/26/02
Bios Version 6.0

I'm not sure if you need any other info. Can anybody direct me which way to go to find drivers please?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

See Intel 845GL at http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009236.htm for video, http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009244.htm for audio.

Louis

#8 AhhhLeah

AhhhLeah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

See Intel 845GL at http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/cs-009236.htm for video, http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009244.htm for audio.

Louis

Thank you. I got the video driver installed and working properly. Thank you so much.

I'm having absolutely no luck with the audio driver. I'm told it isn't recognized or "AC'97 - contact your system or motherboard manufacturer." What are my options from here? How difficult is it to replace an audio card?

Edited by AhhhLeah, 09 January 2010 - 09:22 AM.

#9 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

if you have an open PCI slot on your motherboard, adding a $10 sound card would be super easy. Just turn off the computer, put the card in the slot, screw it down. Turn it back on and run the driver disk that comes with it.

PCI slots are usually white, so just take the access panel off the side and take a look. Sometimes mystery boards from system manufacturers can be a big pain to find drivers for. The value of that brand name is only determined by their willingness to support their product I'm afraid. Sometimes its worth adding a new card instead of spending hours trying to find the right driver, which might not even be available.

Edited by Kalon Wiggins, 10 January 2010 - 10:52 PM.

#10 AhhhLeah

AhhhLeah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

if you have an open PCI slot on your motherboard, adding a $10 sound card would be super easy. Just turn off the computer, put the card in the slot, screw it down. Turn it back on and run the driver disk that comes with it.

PCI slots are usually white, so just take the access panel off the side and take a look. Sometimes mystery boards from system manufacturers can be a big pain to find drivers for. The value of that brand name is only determined by their willingness to support their product I'm afraid. Sometimes its worth adding a new card instead of spending hours trying to find the right driver, which might not even be available.

So I don't have to take out the old audio card?

#11 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:21 PM

if there is actually a soundcard in a pci slot then yeah you can take it out. It sounds to me like you have a soundcard built into your motherboard, which means theres no soundcard to take out. If its built in, then hit the hotkey to get into your bios on startup, and there should be an option somewhere in there to disable onboard sound.

#12 AhhhLeah

AhhhLeah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

if there is actually a soundcard in a pci slot then yeah you can take it out. It sounds to me like you have a soundcard built into your motherboard, which means theres no soundcard to take out. If its built in, then hit the hotkey to get into your bios on startup, and there should be an option somewhere in there to disable onboard sound.

Thank you so much. Hopefully I won't have too much trouble doing this. There are 3 slots. 2 are open. I'm guessing what I'm seeing is not a sound card so you're probably right that it's built in. I'll see what I can do. Thank you again.

#13 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

You can tell if its a sound card as your speakers would be plugged into the back of it. If it has no speaker jacks, its not a sound card. Be sure to go into your bios after you install the card and disable your onboard sound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users